User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Humidity

glamp88

Unhappy

I just got a terrarium and it isn't very humid inside yet. I have a pitcher plant in it. It's a 10 gallon terrarium. Can anyone help?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glamp88,
    What type of pitcher plant? Pitcher plants aren't tropical plants and don't require high humidity levels to thrive. Depending on where you live, you may be able to grow it outside.

edited @ 5:49 1-6-03

Welcome to the forums!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

glamp88
    I don't want to grow it outside. I live in a warm southern climate and it is humid outside from March-September. The kind of pitcher plant I have is a Sarracenia purpurea. I am planning on getting a venus fly trap. What should I do for the fly trap once I get it in the terrarium.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, to be honest I can't recommend growing either plant directly in the terrarium unless you have a cool place to put it in for their winter dormancy. Otherwise, you might consider leaving them in their seperate pots and covering those in the terrarium soil. Here is more on DORMANCY

Both plants tolerate low humidity fairly well, you shouldn't have too many problems leaving the top off and placing in a brightly lit window. Just watch that the terrarium doesn't get so hot that the plants get baked.

If you check out the VFT and Sarracenia forums you will find a lot more info specific to those species.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List