What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of bogs and gh

Just curios... want to see pics of your bog gardens and ghs. I dont have a bog garden, this is arizona, whats a bog?

A couple pics...

Mini_bog_web.jpg

Sarracenias_web.jpg

Really nice looking plants Dyflam!

Excellent pics Dyflam, I especially like the first one, are those Sarrs growing in pure LFS?

Sundewd a bog is like a swamp. My explanation is a permanently flooded low area (relative to the local altitude) with low nutrients available for plant growth, barely flowing water, lots of mosses on the land surface and peaty soils underneath. Humidity is high and flies and all manner of insects relish these locations and make wandering/crawling around in them to look at very small plants quite unpleasant!
wink.gif

The second pic isn't mine. I took that pic at Lee's Botanical Gardens when I visited last year. That's where I really got started. Looking forward to another visit this year.

The 5 gallon pails give me an idea. painters throw them away, although they'd have to be washed well.

Were there any drainage holes in the bottom?

Drainage holes are about 2 inches below the top of the medium.

Sundewd, this is a very simple description of a very complex subject:
A bog is an area of wet, soggy ground, usually with a slow moving  inflow
and outflow of water, and it's formation is continuous, with new generations
of  Sphagnum moss and other acid tolerant plant species that grow up over the
remains of earlier generations, creating layers of peat. Bogs generally form in
depressions in the terrain leaving them at or near the water table, so the surface
is always wet and usually covered with mosses and low-growing plant life.
Lacking nutrients, decomposition of plant debris is slow, resulting in a low PH
factor and the mineral content is virtually nil due to seepage and by flooding from
rains.  Bogs also form from old lakes that have slowly been filled in with debris and
silt until there is more land than water. A few variations are Sedges, Fens,
Poccosins, Savannahs and others that I can't remember right now.
Hope this helps, but it is only the "tip of the iceberg" as they say.

Dyflam, those are great pictures. Hope mine look like that this Spring!

Yeah...Those five gallon tubs give one ideas, don't they? We get out cat food in big tubs like that. Lucky for me my cat is a PIG! I have one at hand right now, and I'll have another shortly!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drainage holes are about 2 inches below the top of the medium.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Should have thought of that, thanks.

Hmm, any reasoning behind it being 2" below the medium and not lower? Just curious.

Vertigo,
It keeps it nice and mucky without actually flooding the plants. Very similar to their natural habitat where the water table is just under ground level.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Feb. 27 2003,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vertigo,
It keeps it nice and mucky without actually flooding the plants.  Very similar to their natural habitat where the water table is just under ground level.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh ok, that makes sense. So anything that doesn't get to the drainage holes just kind of hangs out with the plants, but once it's saturated it should just kind of run out the sides, right?

Hmmm...and me with all these buckets and containers.
biggrin.gif

Dewd,
Go to my web site and you can see how spectacular a native bog can look. I hope to figure out how to post pics on here and I will put some up.

Brooks, Atlanta

Awesomes boggardens Dyflam!
smile.gif

heres a pic when i started my mini bog, its much better now though-
mvc-007s.jpg
by the way, its winter when i took those, by April all these will be exploding with color, i will post a pic when its better,
Kevin

Back