What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compact flourescent hoods?

Hello,

Is anyone aware of available light fixtures (hoods) that would accomodate large compact flourescents, and sit on top of an aquarium? Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Tom,
I've been searching around the internet for good lights, and I ran across the following link. I'm really interested in what the more experienced growers have to say about this light!

sunstreamer

Scholaty,

The sunstreamer looks like it is simply a fancy name for compact flourescents like I have over my highland tank, the long tube like ones. They work great (the long tube like compact flourescents) so if this sunstreamer setup isn't too much I say go for it. If it is a lot check out bigalsonline.com for compact flourescents under lighting they have the same setup I have but I paid twice as much cos I bought it locally!
sad.gif

CF last way longer than regular flourescents too, I will be replacing mine soon as they've been running for about 2 years but they are still giving my neps awesome colors and pitchers so I assume their power is still relatively strong. But I have waited long enough and it's gotta be time by now. My lights were originally for a reef tank so they are like 9200K when I buy new lights I will look for more even colored light of 5000-6500K, but if your lighting is sufficiently intense the plants care less what "color" it is (within reason), so long as there's a lot of it!

Shloaty: Thanks for bringing the Sunstreamer to my attention!

Swords: Thanks for the reply. What setup do you use from bigalsonline for your highland tank?...and how far are the lights from your plants?...based upon the specs of the Sunstreamer, do you think this alone is sufficient for highland Nepenthes? (they don't talk in lumens, so it's difficult for me to judge...I know 1 lux = 1 lumen/sq. meter or something).

Thanks,
Tom

Well, I just ordered this bad boy. I'll let everyone know what I think when it gets here!

Ok, update.

I received this contraption last night.

They aren't kidding when they say it gives of a lot of light. It's like turning on the sun, for cryin' out loud!
smile.gif

AND it does, indeed, run cool enough to go inside one of those $29.99 greenhouses you can buy in the local supermarket (it's now hanging in the one I bought from the A&P). I am going to be moving some neps in there this evening.
biggrin.gif

Back