What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geckos in terrarium?

Hi i just got a two pairs of leopeoard geckos, they are in a 55 gallon tank. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to plant my carnivorous plant in with them. The soil is complied with many of these plants. The only thing i'm worried about is all my crickets getting eatten up, plus will my reptiles be injured or will the plants get injured?

leopard geckos are desert animals,carnivous plants come from jungles and bogs.

Moving this where it might get more response ...
smile.gif

you have only to geckos in a 55 gallon tank, I have one and its in a 10 gallon!

Grim, once it grows to adult size, it will need to be moved to a 20 gallon. My HUGE male leopard gecko is in a 20 gallon long tank and he would never do well in a ten. The better rule is: 20 gallons per gecko.

DKiM128, as you suggested, the crickets would be eaten by the cps if you put cps in the leos' cage. Also, the habitat of the leo and the habitat of the cp are two VERY different things. Leopard geckos come from the dry, rocky deserts of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq, while cps come from tropical, wet, boggy, mineral-free environments of some parts of the united states. Putting the desert dweller leopard gecko with the tropical cp would be like putting a fish with a horse, which isn't the best transition.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Good luck!
           FTG

how many inchs is yours, i dont know how old mine is, when is it htey reach maturity?

Who, me?

If so, mine is somewhere around eight inches long. When females are mature, they are anywhere from 7-9 inches long. When males are mature, they are anywhere from 8-10 inches long. Leos in the wild have been known to grow up to a foot long, which is also possible in captivity, but unlikely. As for age, my male will be two years old somewhere around this August/September area. I got him two years ago in September, first day of Autumn in fact, and, judging by his size then, he couldn't have been more than a month or a month and a half old, so he must have been born around August. Wow... ***thinks about it***... I've only had him for two years... seems like I've had him for an eternity!!! And they can live 20+ years if they are healthy. God... if I ever lost my gecko for any reason, it'd be like losing my dog!

Ok I'm rambling...
rolleyes.gif

If you have any more questions pertaining to anything about leo's, except maybe breeding, ask me! Me the expert!
biggrin.gif

Greetings,
FTG

Do you have any pics of your Gekos home. I had my adult in a 10 gallon tank. I know I needed a bigger one. I always wanted to make a 55 gallon tank with nice rock edge, plants and sand. My local petsore guy said NEVER use sand, because he said the digest it and plugs up their system. Mine was very healthy and he had great colors. When he was a baby he had the brightest yellow bands I have ever seen. Oh, I miss him.
confused.gif
I had to give him away because I could not longer get crickets in my area. He was huge and on occasion I fed him a pinky mouse. Great pet and I'm thinking of getting another one.
biggrin.gif

No, no pics. Me no have digital camera! Darn...

Anyhowees, sorry to hear about your having to give away your gecko! But you CAN use sand, so long as you always have a dish of vitamin powder in the cage with the gecko. If you have the powder in there, the gecko will tend to lick that up for extra nutrition instead of the sand. This works very well with Autumn. Sometimes I spy him lapping a little of that dust up like it's water or something!!! They have some sort of a way of knowing when they need it. Another thing that keeps him from swallowing the ground-up walnut shell sand that I have in there is the fact that it is extremely bitter
tounge.gif
. Every time he misses a cricket and gets a mouthfull of sand instead, he'll do everything in his power to get every single grain out of his mouth! LOL  
tounge.gif

I've had two anoles in my lowlands tank for about 10 months and I have had very little problems. I have an indoor greenhouse that's about 5ft tall, 2 1/2ft. wide and 2ft deep.
I've been waiting to see a long green tail hanging out of one of the pitchers but thankfully the anoles seems to stay away from the pitchers. They always stay near the top of the tank. The only problem is I never get to see my nepenthes catch food on their own, the anoles eat everything as soon put bugs in the tank.
There's also alot of lizard poop on the leaves, but I guess thats just a little bit of fertilizer for the plant.

Back