Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubble wrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this sub-forum came about just in time for me.

I have recently switched to growing many of my Utrics and Pings in covered propogators outside. This has given me huge amounts of extra space but I have a problem with the temp inside the propogators breaking 41 deg C!!! As an attempt at creating a 'shade' I cut up an old shower curtain and stapled it to my patio railing, now I feel there is too little light but the temp is in a much more acceptable range.

Now, I have reams of large bubble wrap and I am wondering, if I decide to use it will it cut the light enough to prevent the massive heat build up?

Any thoughts or experience?

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well... If you had little droplets of water onthe cover, wouldn't it act like a magnifying glass? Probably not the same as a) its not water, and b) they're empty bubbles...

Hold the bubble wrap up to sun to find out I guess. hehe... Try with some tape first, then staple it down...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my old greenhouse I used awning material, purchased at Home Depot, for a shade cloth. Bubble wrap is usally recomended as insulating material to keep the heat in, the dead air space prevents heat transfer. I will check to see if I keep the shade cloth and what condition it is in. I will message you tonight or tomorrow if I still have it.
    Marjorie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Magore, I appreciate that.

I know that bubble wrap can work as an insulator but I was going to have it tacked between the slats on my patio railing so it would not actually be on the propogators. I was hoping that the sunlight would be reduced and more diffused after traveling through it and therefore help keep the heat down while still allowing good light.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try a piece of fiberglass window screen. It will allow air circulation still and block some light (approx 30%). I would think bubble wrap would still allow infrared to go through and then end up holding the heat in.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hes not attaching it to the tank tho, hes just basically, using it to block sun... it ownt even be near the plants... I dont think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right Parasuco, it won't be on the propogators or near the plants.

Let me try and diagram it

I D
    S I D
    U I D
    N I D DOME
    I D / \
    I D / \
    I D / \
    PROPOGATOR

So the slats ('I') have the bubble wrap ('D') stapled to them and the domed propogators sit about 6-12" from the base of the railing.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    er whatever...

The only way to cut the heat is to block light.. the more light you block the less infrared that hits the propagators and the cooler they will stay. This is of course the great challenge with growing outdoors under the sun... providing the light and moisture levels the plants want without getting them too hot. There is a trade off with reducing heat build up and that is less light. The only way around it is to use artificial cooling ie evaporative, ac etc

will the bubble wrap diffuse the light? probably a little.. but I doubt it will reduce heat build up much since it will not block much light.

Only one way to find out I guess.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast