Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium lighting 101

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ten-gallon terrarium (10''x20'') that I would like to light with florescent light tubes.

I'm new to all this. Where do I begin?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well wolfn the size of area will be best suited with this bulb http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmcompactfluorescents.htm
    The compact flourescent bulbs are probably your best bet. That one there in particular has the k rating and lumens of nearly 8500 wich should be plenty for what you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    well wolfn the size of area will be best suited with this bulb http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmcompactfluorescents.htm
    The compact flourescent bulbs are probably your best bet. That one there in particular has the k rating and lumens of nearly 8500 wich should be plenty for what you have.
    Can I find a similar lighting system at a Lowes or Home Depot?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry so lost...

I read through this entire thread and all it did was make me want to murder someone...... Even after all that, I still can't figure out what it is that is the best as far as fluorescent 4 foot tube lights is!!!

Is it daylight? 6500k? Cool white? Warm? Sunlight? a combo of such?

surely someone has the correct answer to this.

Currently I grow under 4 t8 tubes, 2 daylight, 1 cool white, 1 warm white and my plants seem like they are growing just fine, but I would love to improve the lighting if there was a straight answer in here!

Lol I feel like I'm going nuts now....please someone clarify this horrible mess of info

thank you!!

Vinylsock

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ask 15 people get 15 answers padawan..... and yeah, the thread is full of "opinions"

improve the reflector is a universal answer.... but when it comes to bulb selection, it becomes very personal

I like 5000k :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting a 100w led from ebay to light my terrarium. Anybody tried this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far should the light be from my plants if I am going with an open air method in which a terrarium and lid is not used? I tried 7" briefly earlier under 4 t5 4 foot tubes, two 6500/3000k bulbs and that seemed to be too close... The lights are much hotter than I anticipated. Will a few feet from them suffice? You guys talk about getting the lights really close and wrapping foil around containers, but plants don't get light like that natively. It's all rather confusing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my light hung... I'm still not totally sure about it. The light is several feet above ny plants and yet I'm getting a probe reading of up to 83*. That seems kinda high... Also, I noticed a few plants singed but I don't think the lights necessarily did it since outside is much hotter than 80*.

Here's my current set up. It's not elaborate. The light is Hung from a curtain rod VIA two adjustable rope pulleys.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mag0078hy.jpg/

The black bar at the top is my light. There's quite a bit if air between there.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 09-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.