Likes Likes:  2
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium lighting 101

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some new observations of comparissons between compact fluorecents and metal halides. First off, the lumen outpu of cf's, and just about all grow lights can not be calculated by adding smaller bulbs. For example, two 65 watt cf bulbs will not be the same as a cf bulb of equal wattage (130 watts). It veries extremely, and the luminosity of a bulb can not be calculated by that of smaller wattage bulbs, or even different brand bulbs of the same type! Meaning, you must get the lumens output for each bulb from specific testing. Now, comparing cf's and metal halides of equal wattage shows that cf's have higher lumen outputs. However I thought that having four 125 watt cf bulbs would be greater wattage than the leading 1000 watt metal halide bulbs, but in fact, four cf's equals much less lumens than one 1000 watt bulb. So... dont make the mistake I did. Cf's wont effeciently equal the lumens of very high wattage mh's, unless they make the bulbs as a single 1000 watt, or whatever.

By the way, my 125 watt cf is between 12,000 and 14,500 lumens

4 of theese = 1000 watts = 58,000 lumens

1,000 Metal halide bulbs = between 110,000 and 120,000 lumens

Lesson is, dont buy a bunch of small wattage bulbs no matter how cheap, to equal the lumens of higher power bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey people

is it ok to use a 70watt lamp on my plants in a 1 gallon terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are all light fixtures rely expensive?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I found this to be a very fascinating article to read. (I'm a newbie, expect a proper introduction perhaps tomorrow )

As with another poster here, I am coming from the reef keeping hobby (which was sprouted from FW planted tanks which I still keep rolling). Please, dont take offence to this, it just made me chuckle a bit when people were concerned about the costs of some power compact setups To put that in perspective, thats after having spent $250 on a 2x 96W PC setup for our 40gal reef tank to upgrade 6 months later to two 400W halides over our 150gal reef tank . It does however make me incredibly happy that I dont need to go out and spend a small fortune that would otherwise be put towards tuition, car insurance, etc into lighting for at least some VFTs to begin.

Some questions about different lighting as well. Has anyone here experimented with ODNO (Over Drive Normal Output) Flourescent bulbs? I currently have one of my coral grow-out tanks lit with four 20W NO Flourescent bulbs that have been overdriven to 56W. From my reef keeping background, I understand watts isnt a judgement, but thats the only measurement I have for sure. The best part, is that the total cost for that setup was <$50.

Also, in the fish/planted tank hobbies, while it is relatively new (relatively) there are new T5 High Output (HO) bulbs out that many people are nearly worshiping due to the similar PAR ratings as MH bulbs, yet they run much cooler, their ballasts run cooler, they dont require as much space, and are overall more efficient. Just curious as to if anyone has used these in normal plant growning, or carnivorous plant growing.

On top of that, the light I am planning on using is a 65W Lights of America flood light. They sell them at Home Depot for $34, and it incudes the bulb (which is about $15 to replace). supposedly it has the same output as a 500W halogen bulb, though I wouldnt even say it comes close. Thats at least my plan, as it comse with a 6,7k bulb already, and I have the fixture laying around doing nothing at the moment.

Much of my perspective might be clouded due to much of the lighting I'm used to using being taylored for corals, but I was just curious as to how it compares. Again, VERY fascinating article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tekknoschtev @ Mar. 30 2006,12:54)]Some questions about different lighting as well. Has anyone here experimented with ODNO (Over Drive Normal Output) Flourescent bulbs? I currently have one of my coral grow-out tanks lit with four 20W NO Flourescent bulbs that have been overdriven to 56W. From my reef keeping background, I understand watts isnt a judgement, but thats the only measurement I have for sure. The best part, is that the total cost for that setup was <$50.

Also, in the fish/planted tank hobbies, while it is relatively new (relatively) there are new T5 High Output (HO) bulbs out that many people are nearly worshiping due to the similar PAR ratings as MH bulbs, yet they run much cooler, their ballasts run cooler, they dont require as much space, and are overall more efficient. Just curious as to if anyone has used these in normal plant growning, or carnivorous plant growing.

On top of that, the light I am planning on using is a 65W Lights of America flood light. They sell them at Home Depot for $34, and it incudes the bulb (which is about $15 to replace). supposedly it has the same output as a 500W halogen bulb, though I wouldnt even say it comes close. Thats at least my plan, as it comse with a 6,7k bulb already, and I have the fixture laying around doing nothing at the moment.

Much of my perspective might be clouded due to much of the lighting I'm used to using being taylored for corals, but I was just curious as to how it compares. Again, VERY fascinating article.
    Yes, over driven lights work well for growing cp.

I don't know much about T5's, but if you can afford them, I hear that they work really well.

Many people use the 65W Lights of America flood light with good results. Hope this answers your questions.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks dewy. I'm not entirely sure what exactly I am going to use, my goal is to be able to grow them outside and just bring them in for dormancy during the winter (SE Michigan gets too chilly for them based upon what I've read). But in the time being, I think that I'll end up using the LOA fixture since I alread have it.

I was mostly curious as to if others had experimented with the methods. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tekknoschtev @ Mar. 30 2006,6:48)]Thanks dewy. I'm not entirely sure what exactly I am going to use, my goal is to be able to grow them outside and just bring them in for dormancy during the winter (SE Michigan gets too chilly for them based upon what I've read). But in the time being, I think that I'll end up using the LOA fixture since I alread have it.

I was mostly curious as to if others had experimented with the methods. Thanks for the quick reply.
    I know that one member did the over driven fluorescent lights, and they worked really well. Just make sure that the plants are at least 3 inches away from the lights.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock uses T5 and the 6500k CF fixture from HDepot. He grows almost entirely indoors on those Stainless steel commercial grade shelf units. His Nepenthes always look quite stunning. Superimposedhope has used the overdriven fluorescent fixtures.

What are you intending to grow? Most people in cold northern areas just stick their temperate plants in the fridge or unheated garage for dormancy. No lighting required.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast