Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium lighting 101

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, I'm just doing VFTs. I dont have any intention of doing anything beyond what I have (I have ODNO and the 65W PC fixture on hand) I was just mostly curious as to if others had experimented with others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were you planning on doing dormancy? You mention growing them outside during the growing season. So you might not even need lighting.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refridgerator. Winters get too cold here for even a cold garage (sub zero from time to time, average in the single digits to 20degrees)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tekknoschtev @ April 01 2006,10:29)]Winters get too cold here for even a cold garage (sub zero from time to time, average in the single digits to 20degrees)
    I know the feeling.

Well in the fridge they won't need any lighting although you may want to grow them indoors under lights during the late Winter/early Spring then move them outside during the warm Summer Month (hehe).

The overdrive tubes or the 65w CF would work quite well as long as the plants are fairly close to the light. Peronally I would use the 65w CF if you only have a few plants. The light is more focalized and not so spread along a straight tube.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do cool white fluorescent look white if they have a low kelivn rating as the original author said?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine under a temporary 4,100K and another bulb that didn't say the K just said 90 CRI. Is this doing ANYTHING for the plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry new terra garden, need help

Hello to all,

I just planted a new CP garden in a 75 gallon fish tank and am lighting it with a bank of 4 florescent bulbs. I planted all highland Nepenties and all non dormant type CP's. First of all I can't seem to keep the humidity above 35-40%. I raised up the lights about 2 inches above the top of the tank because I thought it was getting too hot (82 degrees) without very much circulation but it seems to be dring out the air. What can I do. Does anyone know of a source of small fans that I can put at the top of the fish-tank for air circulation? What do you think a good daytime temp should be in the tank and how much humidity?
    Any help would very much be appreciated. Thanks David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    82F is good temps this time of year for LowLanders. HighLanders will need to be much cooler, especially at night.
    Do you have a shaded garage or a basement to put this terrarium? HLer's ain't gonna last too long in those temps unless there's a siginificant night-time drop.
    Small fans? Radio Shack or any Office store like Staples.
    Using a fan with a mister on a timer works well but that's not gonna cool the tank enough.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast