What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 25-30 gallon terrarium.........................

Hi,
 well, thanks to the sale at petflytrap, I'm getting some more plants, and I'm sure gracilis and rafflesiana are lowlanders,
wink.gif
and it gets cold here at night, so I'm FINALLY starting to add peat and stuff to the tank... I'll of course take pics while I'm making it and post it!!!
smile.gif
I'm making something similar to ccriders 125 gallon tank...But I'm thinking of adding a little pond for a gibba! would it work? Thanks,
         Spectabilis73
smile.gif

Questions, comments, anyone?

Sounds awesome, I am going to be doing the same thing next summer with a 20 gallon (hopfully). I was planning on putting a little pond in mine to only just for decoration and humidity purposes not utrics. Remember to post some pics. of it when you get it finished.
John
smile.gif

I have a couple of pics of the terrarium, lets see if I can download them to the comp...

oh BTW my terrarium is 12" x 12" x 36"  
smile.gif

EDIT: My parents say it's too late... cause my dad needs to use the comp. in 10 minutes... DARN!
mad.gif

Here are the pics!

Starting to layer the peat: (lol, you can see me in the reflection in the pic.)
smile.gif

Image117.jpg

right side of the tank: (I'm in the reflection of the glass again.
mad.gif
)

Image120.jpg

left side of the tank: (me in the reflection again.)
tounge.gif

Image121.jpg

now I've added the "gibba tank":

Image118.jpg

I used alot of ccrider16s ideas, sorry!
sad.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

comments, suggjestions, anyone?

Spectabilis73
smile.gif

(hope the pic. files aren't too big.
wink.gif
)

ya now i can see them they came up.

the pic look ok what is the gibba tank for

what ya should do is get a piece of plexy glass cut it to size 3-4" and get that tank sealer and have a small square pond in it and place it in that. it would look better than that jar being in there

I wouldn't have put it in there if I didn't run out of peat!
mad.gif
lol
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

you ran out of peat. the only bag i could find of the stuff is 3.8 cubic feet. i still got like 3/4 of the bag left.

hey! wait! stop! put a layer of something on the bottom for better drainage and so you can view the water, and make your peat a mixture of 50/50, i had redug out the bottom of my tank shortely after i started it after reading how compact peat can get, i used a 1- 1 1/2" layer of perlite, then i put a 50/50 mixture of perlite and peat on top of that, you can seperate it with plastic window screen if you want, i didnt, they are all doing fine, the plants from this, im sorry i woulda posted sooner, but i been really sick lately, darn weather change, and im not trying to discourage you, just trying to make your tank a lil safer for the plants, thats all
smile.gif
try to do this and redo your landscape back like you have it with the 50/50 mix, its looking good like it is, also, if you do it this way, you can test out your pond naturally, just dig up a hole, i keep water in the bottom of my tank, bout 2-3 inches of it, yours will be slightly lower, but will work just the same
smile.gif
then, moss can grow round the edge and will look really cool!

ccrider

ok, thanks!
smile.gif
aflter I add the perlite and stuff, do I make everything on top of that a 50/50 peat/sand mix? I'm not putting plants directly in there, just burying the pots in the peat.
smile.gif

oh and I hope you get better soon!
smile.gif
I hate being sick...
sad.gif

thanks spec
smile.gif
listen, after you put about a 1/2 inch to an inch of perlite in the bottom( cause your tank is lower), then you can add your 50/50 mix, try this, see about your bottom layer being peat/ sand mix, and your upper area have it peat/ perlite mix, the perlite gives better drainage i think. make your bottom layer as high as your pots, oh! and transplant them into bigger pots too before you put them in, will help on not moving them for potting later on
smile.gif
what do you plan on putting in there? i hope not any nep. gracilis, mine is hitting the top of my 125 already, twice! had to move the support sticks to lower the plant already, hehehe, in my tank, i have only 9 pots left exposed outside of the tank substrate, there any way of slowing my plants growth without harming them? they are growing like mad!!!!! i mean literally! my forked sundew went from 2 inch forks, to 4-5 inch forks! my first VFT is about a 10-12 inch span across the bottom now!! each pitcher is considerably bigger then the last one grown on each nep. plant. one more thing you should know, there will be a swamp smell after awhile, not a lot, but there will be. talk to ya later
smile.gif

ccrider

oops, I got gracilis.
tounge.gif
wow.gif
can you get them to scramble? Otherwise I'll just take a bunch of cutings.
smile.gif
I'm putting:

1 Pinguicula Primuliflora (sp?)
3 Drosera adelae
maybe a pinguicula? (unknown ping.)
1 or 2 dionaea muscipula (venus fly trap)
1 unknown drosera (it looks like a capensis)
1 Nepenthes gracilis
tounge.gif

1 Nepenthes rafflesiana
I think that's it. I'll post again if there are any more.
tounge.gif

------------------------------------------------------------
oh and what temps should I use for these plants? thanks--
Spectabilis73
smile.gif

hahahahahahaha, you have a gracilis, ....hahahaha, you just dont know what your in store for, hehe, its a super fast growing plant, lol. ive looked up info on these, so far, i found out that these plants can get up to 10 feet tall! havent seen it yet, but ive read it, just go to internet explorer and type in the search: nepenthes gracilis ( i did this on www.msn.com) i keep both species of worts that petflytrap has and 3 dif. nep species; ventricosa, rafflesiana, and gracilis. i have multiple fly traps; dente, green dragon, common green, and a giant form of the common green, forked sundew, adelea, and spathulata, and what started as a 4" foliage plant( they lied, its larger now, lol). the temp on the tank goes like this:
during the day, it runs between 81-84 degrees F., at night the temp. runs 78-82 degrees F. i have 6- 4 foot bulbs(G.E. sunshine tubes) on top, each one is 40 watts, so thats 240 watts of lighting they get, i have to use a fan on top of the tank, its a rotating desk fan, the rotating thing is broke, i keep it on low setting. the lighting rests on 1 inch wood stock and the fan blows on top of the lights to cool the ballasts and at the same time, it blows under the lights, barely into the tank, i have glass and plexiglass on top, i keep the middle and the right sections cracked open about 1 and a half inches, slid open, not raised, the fan air goes in and out from these 2 spots, causing air exchange, and maintains my temps, this is only during the day, at night, the fan is off and i have an electric heater on the floor, blasting it at the base, i keep the water maintained by what the texture looks on top of the peat soil, it looks wet, thats it basically, havent even used superthrive anymore, no need to really, i dont want a nightmare growth rate, heheheh! heres a pic of the tank again
smile.gif

wholetankview.JPG

the pic didn't work, can you try posting it again?

Back