What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? about cp containers

Hello everyone

I am novice but I'm really getting into this cool hobby of caring for carnivorous plants. I think venus fly traps and sundews look beautiful in circular, glass fish bowls. Is a big glass fish bowl a good place to keep Venus Fly Traps and Sundews (Drosera spathulata and Drosera capensis)? also Is the Los Angeles, CA sun too strong for these plants kept in these containers?

You have to be very careful with a terrarium that receives sunlight, since temperatures can get very hot very quick. VFT should grow outside in your area without a terrarium once they are adjusted to the light level.
Tony

Thanks for the info Tony, you're most kind

I have another question, So I take that leaving sundews and VFTs in direct sun here in Southern Cali is probably not a good idea. So would placing a plant (in it's glass bowl) in filtered sun light most of the day (indoors) then taking it out so it can received full sunlight for a few hours affect VFTs and sundews negatively?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So I take that leaving sundews and VFTs in direct sun here in Southern Cali is probably not a good idea. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It's not a bad idea at all.(As long as the plants aren't in a container). In fact, you'll have larger, healthier, more colorful plants in full sun.

Mike
smile.gif

Moving them back and forth from a lower light situation to full sun outside is not a good idea since they may burn. Keeping them outdoors is fine but adjust them to the high light levels gradually. Filtered light hitting a terrarium indoors is PROBABLY fine but there is no way to know for sure. You would have to monitor it and keep an eye on the temperature and the plants. Also keep in mind that outdoors there is a normal steady breeze to help cool plant leaf surfaces. In a terrarium this may not be the case and leaves can burn easier.

Bottom line is experiment and give the plants as much light as they can take without burning them. But be observant and careful in the process.
Tony

Even filtered sunlight that is good for the plants can be too much for the container. If you get a lot of condensation, and even filtered sunlight will do this, you will get fungus.

Steve

Back