User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pft terrariums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone happen to have the 1.5 gallon or 3 gallon terrarium that they sell here? I tried asking them a few questions about them but they've ignored my emails so I was hoping you guys could help me.

Basically, I'm looking for dimensions first. How wide/long/tall is each one? I'm looking to grow a common VFT, Dente VFT, and Drosera Spathulata to full size in it. Will that work out?

I was alos curious about weight. I'll probably let my plants catch their own bugs by just taking the terrarium out onto my porch with me when I head out. There's more than enough bugs there for one to end up inside the terrarium and that way I get to watch [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. Will it be light enough for me to easily carry in and out like that?

Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicholas,
    In answer to your questions:
    The 1 gal terrarium is about 8" tall and 8" wide. The 3 gal terrarium is about 9" tall and 10" wide. They are made of a tough, light weight plastic. The small terrarium will hold a couple of young VFTs. The larger should hold three young plants easily. Keep in mind that VFTs have a sprawling clumping habit and also tend to spread through offshoots, so they may be crowded in a couple years.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicholas,
    I'm sure your emails haven't been ignored but they get over 100 every day so it often takes some time to respond to them all. The response you got from BCK was an accurate description. The small one should be fine for 3 small plants.
    It would be quite awhile before they would outgrow it. They are lightweight and can easily be moved from place to place.
    And they are very clear high grade plastic and actually look like glass. The plants seem to do well in them.
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, they're much appreciated. If they're plastic (even high quality), won't they be in danger of melting in direct sunlight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've never had a report from anyone of our terrariums melting in the sun....or any other difficulties either [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. One last question (though this may be better suited in the Drosera forum). Do you think I'll have trouble fitting a Drosera Capensis in the 3 gallon with 2 VFTs? The heights that I've seen listed for them are just slightly less than the terrarium size. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicholas,

I'd go with one of the rosetted sundews, like D. aliciae or D. spatulata or D. venustra or D. dielsiana. They stay a lot more compact, and are cool looking. My favorite is my D. aliciae.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock, thanks, I think I'm going to go with a Drosera Intermedia (when I find somewhere that sells them). I laid out my current plan for the terrarium here if you have a second to offer your thoughts. I've spent the past 8 hours doing almost pure research on this stuff and feel like I've hardly scratched the surface! So much to learn... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]