What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best reflective surface

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
I think I read somewhere that a flat white surface was a better reflector (for plants) than tin foil and similar mirrored reflectors. Something to do with light dispersion I think. Any truth to that?
confused.gif

Now where is my ex the professional photographer when I need him..
tounge.gif
All I know about reflecting light is what I learned working as an assistant to a photographer. I know that white is better than most things (tinfoil for example). I've actually tested this with a light meter
smile.gif
I often use a piece of white poster board to remove shadows in a studio shot. Try it, it really works
biggrin.gif

However in my experience, for growing plants, nothing can compare with Mylar.

Hi,

you use white (or silver/golden) reflectors in photography to get a "softer" (=more diffusive) light and not harsh light spots.

I never made any experiments with lightmeters, so I don't know which one is better. (If it is the white paper I would be very surprised)

Martin

I actually made a room for growing plants many years ago using a metal halide light and flat white walls. It worked quite well. I think the flat white not only disperses visible light but reflects IR a little better. I just can seem to remember the light principles... must've been those plants I was growing.
wink.gif

Diffusing and reflecting are two different things. Yes a flat white wall will diffuse the light more. Which will give you a more even light over a broader area. It will however not reflect as well as highly polished metal. You will lose light intensity at the plant surface by bouncing light off a flat white surface compared to the polished metal. However the light will be more even with less shadow and sharp areas of light and dark.

Tony

After some searching it appears mylar is the best reflector for your terrarium. I read that you shouldn't use tin foil because it can create hot spots.

What about using mirrors instead of tin foil? Wouldn't that give a more even dispursion of light?

Isn't Mylar the stuff they use on kitchen/bathroom counter tops?
wink.gif

Mirrors would probably be best as they would reflect the most energy, they are however quite heavy and not the most fun to cut and install. A very efficient and well directed reflector around the bulb itself provides the easiest solution. I bought a hood for my ten gallon that has 2 t-36 bulbs and a descent reflector, I can't complain most of the light hits the plants.

joe

Back