What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silica sand

Anyone have any clues where I could pick up some? Or any alternative that would hold the same value for mixing with Spagnum moss? I've got a large quatity of the moss and failed to realize that it wasn't true Peat moss till after I opened to begin my terrarium. Now I need some of the sand to mix so it has the drainage effect desired, but am not certain where I can get some, or what the alternatives where. Next time I will just have to purchase some of the premade mix offered, but for now I wanna use as much of what I have as possible before tossing it.

You can often buy silica sand at places that sell swimming pool supplies. I believe they use it in some of their filtration systems.

Howdy,

You can buy 100 Ib. bag of silica sand (used for sandblasting) at McLendons. I have used this stuff for a few years, with excellent results. And best of all its cheap. About $8 for the whole bag.

good luck-
Homer

Here are two options you can try. Check your local pet store that sells tropical fish and they should have bulk Silica sand (I pay $0.39 a lbs (Canadian). If they don't have that check their reptile section for a product called called Repti- Sand (by zoo med) . The package states: "Pure, very fine quartz desert sand". It also states "Natural colours no added dyes or chemicals". From what I am told this is the same sand, I did the lime test and it did not bubble up.

Great! Just what I was looking for. homer, that is a great deal, but just what am I suppose to do with 100 lbs of sand?
tounge.gif
The lower end is definitely what I'm looking for, couple pounds maybe. I will be checking out the pet store again real soon. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

If you're anything like most of us, 100# of sand may seem like a large amount now, but may soon seem like a very small amount.

I get big bags of all purpose "silver sand" (silica sand) at Home Depot for $3-4. I think anything 30-60 grit works for cp's.

Well, I guess if I keep on this trend like I think I am, then maybe one day I will be wandering why 100 lbs isn't enough. But for now, yeah, that's definitely a lot for me to imagine using.
biggrin.gif

I just bought some pool filter sand at a pool supply store. It was $7.99 for 50# bag. It's mined by the US silica Co. and is called " Mystic White II premium pool filter sand." The bag also says it's "angular" sand, whatever that means. It has a 6.5 pH, so it's very slightly acidic. It seems like pretty good stuff.

-buckeye

I've been trying to find sand for a reasonable price. I found the reptile sand but it was $9 for a tiny bag!
sad.gif

I went to home depot and asked for Silver Sand and I got blank looks. Couldn't find it there.

I went to another pet store and I bought a small bag of 'Estes' Ultra Reef' marine sand. It says 'Safe and non-toxic for a variety of uses: Marine aquariums - Terrariums - and other exotics' 'Safe for fresh or salt water'

Any clue if this is CP friendly?

Home Depots that stock useful CP sand are rather rare (based on my exhaustive survey of 5 stores in three states
wink.gif
).  I have yet to visit a pool supply store (i did call one, but they said their sand wasn't 'coarse', whatever that means), but i think that's the surest bet of getting the right stuff.  They're not likely to use carbonate-contaminated sand in a pool filter.

You can do the acid test to check for carbonates (think vinegar and baking soda - it fizzes), but other than that all you can do is try it out...

So is the sand Home Depot sells in 50# bags good for CP's or no? It just says general purpose sand..

I would stay away from the Home Depot sand and stop by a pool store and buy some filter sand. The difference is like night and day.

Just my two cents based on my experience with sand. General purpose sand bad, filter sand good. Your plants will thank you with strong healthy growth.

Back