Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silica sand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any clues where I could pick up some? Or any alternative that would hold the same value for mixing with Spagnum moss? I've got a large quatity of the moss and failed to realize that it wasn't true Peat moss till after I opened to begin my terrarium. Now I need some of the sand to mix so it has the drainage effect desired, but am not certain where I can get some, or what the alternatives where. Next time I will just have to purchase some of the premade mix offered, but for now I wanna use as much of what I have as possible before tossing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can often buy silica sand at places that sell swimming pool supplies. I believe they use it in some of their filtration systems.
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Howdy,

You can buy 100 Ib. bag of silica sand (used for sandblasting) at McLendons. I have used this stuff for a few years, with excellent results. And best of all its cheap. About $8 for the whole bag.

good luck-
    Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two options you can try. Check your local pet store that sells tropical fish and they should have bulk Silica sand (I pay $0.39 a lbs (Canadian). If they don't have that check their reptile section for a product called called Repti- Sand (by zoo med) . The package states: "Pure, very fine quartz desert sand". It also states "Natural colours no added dyes or chemicals". From what I am told this is the same sand, I did the lime test and it did not bubble up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Just what I was looking for. homer, that is a great deal, but just what am I suppose to do with 100 lbs of sand? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] The lower end is definitely what I'm looking for, couple pounds maybe. I will be checking out the pet store again real soon. Thanks again. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're anything like most of us, 100# of sand may seem like a large amount now, but may soon seem like a very small amount.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get big bags of all purpose "silver sand" (silica sand) at Home Depot for $3-4. I think anything 30-60 grit works for cp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess if I keep on this trend like I think I am, then maybe one day I will be wandering why 100 lbs isn't enough. But for now, yeah, that's definitely a lot for me to imagine using. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast