What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lighting for wide array of light loving

I've come to the horrible realization after looking at my plants tonight that full spectrum flourescents suck.  So now I need something that actually works.  I have a 10 gallon aquarium in a 48" wide by 24" long by 8"deep free standing cabinet. (not sure how much of that is usable space) I could either go with installing lights on the dresser or getting a regular double fixture hood for the tank itself.  Which would be better and what lights should I get.  Affordable would be nice.  I've heard a lot about HID.  Would those be good in my situation or too much.  How much energy do they take?  WOuld my electric bill sky rocket? thanks a bunch.  Shauntell

Hi Shauntell, I'm sorry I can't be of great help to you. I am using full spectrum "UV simulating" lights myself. They aren't even florescent, and my VFT's are doing awful. Don't worry though, someone will know what to tell you and you'll probably get a helpful response soon! Try not to lose hope...I know I am!
biggrin.gif

i have been using life glo 24 inch flourescent for my 10 gallon aqaurium.they have done me justice with growing sundews and vft's.they are made by hagen.

i highly recommend them...

Would I find those at a pet store in the aquarium dept? Also, should the lights be close to the tip of the plant, or at least 12 inches away? Gee..looks like I ended up getting tips from you! Actually, I'm quite sure a lot of the people here are already tired of me, and I've only joined just a week or so ago! I'm having a real hard time getting the hang of this CP thing, and I think I've asked the same question more than a few times because of a desire for re-enforcement I suppose.
confused.gif
smile.gif

most pet stores should carry them,i got a hood that has a glass cover that is over the light.so that way less heat and more light,i also have all 3 sides of my terrarium covered in reynolds wrap to focus all the light my 15 watt life glo bulb gives off to the plants.right now i am growing just sundews and they are doing really well.there are different life glo bulbs from hagen but get the one that says its made for terrariums.it will cost considerably higher but it is the one of my favorites..plus i sealed my aquarium on the top with plastic wrap to keep the moisture and heat inside.and there the hood opens up i cut several small holes so they vent properly,i am working on getting a fan for ventiliation but the sundews are growing like weeds right now.so i am doing something right
smile.gif

i also had filled about 2 inches of perlite on the bottom of the terrarium that way it has great drainage.if you have any other questions please fire away i am here to help
smile.gif

Ok, the light I got as I mentioned is a full-spectrum. I got it at a pet store in the isle that carries lights for snake and lizard tanks. It screws in to an aquarium lid, and I believe it was called "day-glo". It was right beside the ones that they have for "night-glo". Could this be the same bulb you use? It increases the temp. in my terrarium by about 5-10 degrees (a 5 gallon tank)

Oh, here it is! I found the box, it's not the same light. It's by "Exo Terra" and it's called a "Day Glo Neodymium Daylight Lamp" It sepcifies it's for desert and tropical environments and that it is broad spectrum and simulates natural behaviour "through UVA rays".

no the one i use is called life glo by hagen,its a 24 inch flourescent 15 watt bulb.

Ok, I'm exploring this issue in another forum, and a second opinion may be helpful! My tank is a 5 1/2 gallon. It can't fit a 12 inch bulb, and I can't find 6 inch bulbs. I'm also not sure how much "wattage" I need in a tank that size 15 watts, 25 watts, 40 watts...???
smile.gif

id suggest getting you a 10 gallon tank,they are super cheap i got mine for $7.50 at my local pet shop.its well worth it for the space...

The tank I bought was $12.99. I don't think 10 gallon is much more than that, but I've already invested too much money in this hobby and I think I might wait before I spend more! However, if I can find a 12 inch florescent tube, I measured the top of my tank and it probably would fit.
smile.gif

Lighting is critical if the plants are not getting any supplimental natural light as you have noticed.  Not quite sure what that bulb is your using CN.  Sounds like it is one of them long thin screw in incandescents???

What I would suggest is getting a simple cool white compact fluorescent bulb that screws into a normal light bulb socket.  That and an inexpensive clip on polished aluminum reflector or a desk lamp type gizmo with reflector.  That way you can get the light right up against the terrarium, as fluoresent lights need to be pretty close to the plants to be effective.  You could also try a single or double 24" long fluorescent fixture right over the tank.  Yes it is long but if you have the room the excess hanging over the edges wont hurt.  It is hard to overlight plants using normal fluorescent bulbs. They just don't have the intensity.
Tony

i have 2 windows in my room where my terrarium is,so it gets some natural light too.but those life glo bulbs really put out alot of light and my sundews are doing well with this type of bulb
smile.gif

wow.gif
1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 22 2002,11
wow.gif
1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not quite sure what that bulb is your using CN.  Sounds like it is one of them long thin screw in incandescents???

What I would suggest is getting a simple cool white compact fluorescent bulb that screws into a normal light bulb socket.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, it is a screw in bulb. So is there florescents that will screw in to the same fixture (the fixture in the top of most common aquarium lids)? Also, I'm still slightly confused about which florescent is better...cool or warm glo? My husband says warm glo is the one that most naturally simulates sunlight. So I'm thinking about picking up a single 40 watt warm glo florescent tube (for a 5 1/2 gallon tank) and setting it just inside the side of my tank using a 12 inch shop light fixture based on all the reading I've been doing here. Does this sound like a workable idea? Just inside the tank the light would sit about 6-7 inches from the plants, and even less when and if they stop wilting....
confused.gif

Thanks CPSINC, I have no idea where I can find those bulbs...I think I am coming to the conclusion that I've been trying too hard, and maybe I'll just do what I mentioned above, and leave them alone after that! Up to this point they have been handled and transplanted to no end, I think they hate me now!
wink.gif

Thanks for the link! Wow, that's on the US right? Seems quite expensive. My hubby has gone out to get a florescent light fixture from a hardware store, then I think he's going to Picses Pet Imporium to pick up a 25 or 40 watt warm glo florescent tube. I don't know how much that'll be, but I'm sure the total for both will come close to what it would cost me after exchange to get that bulb!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks so much for all your help CPSINC, I really appreciate those of you here who have been sticking by me trying to help me get my answers!

you are very welcome,we are all here to help each other.thats what gives pft.com its greatness.

So here's what I've found in a local lighting store: a 15 watt florescent "grow bulb" the will screw in to the fixture in the lid of my terrarium, and a 15 watt regular florecent to accompany it. They were $18 Canadian each. My hubby is going to "Tim" the aquarium lid to accomodate two regular screw-in light fixtures so that I can use both side-by-side. I guess only time will tell if that'll work!
wink.gif

Shauntell, (Newbie too,)

The fluorescents that I have found work best are the ones they sell at Wal-Mart. These come in an orange sleve with yellow writting and are called 'Sunshine' They beat out all the fancy $30 reptile high UV tubes hands down (in fact I have switched to using them for my heprs too with great results.)

If you are wanting to get fully away from tubes then the best thing to go with (as I have heard it) is Metal Halide. The problem here is that they are EXPENSIVE ($300+) and give off a lot of heat too.

Back