Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New lighting

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got me :-) could you post it agian from memory though?

i think i con convince my dad to let me ahve 2 cpu fans on each side. but how do i attatch them? i've ehard double sided stick foam works, but he wants something alot more secure. like a clamp or soemthing? i dont want it to look big and bulky.

can someone assure me that the sticky foam stuff is good enough? and will the fan leak any oils or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, where can i get some? i dont want to spend more than 10 bucks for each fan and ecerything else i need with it. what is a heat sink?

are there any that i can just "plug and play" and how do i attatch them to the sides of the glass and give them enough room to suck in air?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well since my first lengthy post to you was lost here goes.

"those bulbs are for aquarium use. are you sure? and how many warm tubes to cool tubes? "

Marketing has nothing to do with spectral quality. I like URI because they are the longest lasting VHO lamp Ive ever used.I have some that are nearly 5 years old and still burn.
    Not that they are anywhere near as bright as they were when they were new.

"what can i get a fan? the back of the tank have about 2 inches of open space, theres also a 1.5 inch hole in the back. this has a bulkhead for it because it used to be a saltwater aquarium.
    where would i get a small fan? are they any extremely small ones i can use on the inside? i would be great to ahve magnetic ones. like the fan part goes inside and is held on to the glass by a magnet on the outside. "

Ill give you a link in a second, first I wouldnt recommend using acomputer fan unless youve got some way of running it with out a power supply, this would be verywasteful.
    Comp fans run on DC the power in your house is AC you want to find an AC fan for the safest mode of operation. The manner in which I would suggest you mount it is this:
    You want the fan to be placed so that it is only circulating air not exchanging it. I like to mount them to the underside of the glass top by drilling 4 holes in the glass top, youll need a special drill bit for this. Then using four 3-4" long machine screws and four aluminum spacer stems and eight nylon washers, these are use on either side of the glass to assist in dampening vibration. I like to use a little pure silicon around the glass to further assist in dampening. The fan should ultimately be oriented so that it is blowing air up against the glass top this way youre allowed maximum circulation without drying your plants out.
    You can control the exchange of air by manufacturing some sort of an adjustable cover for the back of your terrarium, this way you can fine tune the amount of air exchange inorder to maintain proper humidity and temperature levels while maintaining proper air circulation.
    Here is that link
    http://www.midwesthydroponics.com/product....gory=70
    Its the second column from the bottom, first item, 100 CFM Axial Fan Active Air Vent Blowers $34.95.

"and are you saying it would be bad to add the 2 other tubes? i would rather use them since they are sitting in the basement and are elss that a year old, and ti would give me a much wider variety of bulbs to use.
    on all the sites i've been to, they say that nepenthes thrive under high temps. with 30-35 being excellent. i'd prefer 35 since it gives me more room for error. this tnk will house only lowlanders, no highlanders."

Not bad its just more work thats not entirely necessarry, I just think youve got plenty of light as it is.
    You will find that constant temps in the 90s will eventually stress your plants they will also over grow your tank in no time.
    The trick to maintaining a terrerium is balancing all of your conditions indorder to maintain lush yet managable growth.
    You wouldnt want it to become a chore.
    I have found as have many others that plants produce much more consistently under less stressful conditions.
    I would recommend daytime temps in the mid to upper eighty's with a 5-15 degree drop at night.

Two of the smallest foggers would be plenty in an enclosed tank such as yours. Youll probably find running them on a timer or humidistat necessarry inorder to keep your humidity with in respectable levels.
    I would also highly recommend you get a digital Hygrometer/thermometer combo with min and max memory capabilities. these can usually be found locally at electronics supply stores. Otherwise here, http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/catalog....d=6620.

FWIW
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would i need 2 of those fans? or one? and where would i get the drillbit? do i need a special drill for it?
    would i need to buy a reptile heating pad and stick it on the underside of the tank? could i attatch it to some sort of thermostat with a prode to sense the temp and turn the heating pad on/off accordingly? where would i get one of those?

also, i dont understand something..... you say that high heat will stress them out, but they will grow over the tank.. this seems like a good thing for them to grow fast? please explain.

thank you soo much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One fan should do you plenty. Most hardware stores carry diamond bits made to drill through glass just tell them you want to do so and they should be able to help you, no special drill required though I will say this about drilling through glass, GO SLOW i cant stress this enough the more steadily and gently you drill the less likely you are to break it. This is why I like a drill press if its at all possible to use one by all means do so.
    Unless the room temperature your keeping the tank in is droping into the 50s at night I dont think youll need to worry much about additional heating.
    One thing Id recommend is to run the system empty for a week or so as if you had plants in it just to make sure everything is functioning properly and your environment is stable. Its much easier to tweak and stabilize a system when it is empty as opposed to full. In the event you do find you need to add some type of additional heating I would recommend a submersible aquarium heater instead of heat mats a submersible heater will be much more efficient. I like Ebo-Jager brand heaters, they last long and dont interfere with your TV or radio.
    Numerous problems can arise when first attempting to grow plants in such an intense environment. Fast growth can be good but if you dont have the additional space what do you plan to do with the plant. It can also be difficult to keep up with, ie. watering and nutrients you may see deficiencies which can sometimes lead to toxicities. Higher tempertures can force your plant to move so fast it will actually stop growing. To understand this further you may need to read some basic botanicle literature.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you so much! what about those titanium heaters with the titanium probes?
    i was going to run it for about a month.. but a week is better, thanks.
    So upper 80's and elt it drop a few degrees at night? ok.

also, i'm going to grow orchids and tillandsia in this tank, will 1 fan be enough circulation?

thanks!

also, what am i exactly drilling the glass for? can i just silicon it on there? and how big is the fan? it wont me very hunky will it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the basic setup for my terrarium, just thought it might give you some ideas:
    The tank size is 30 gallons. 30" long x 12" deep x 12" wide.
    I have it lighted with 2 40 watt 48 inch full spectrum florecent lights. I plan on adding one 48 inch cool white and one 48 inch warm light in the future. (I would have added it by now if the electricity bill wasn't so high! ) As for heat, all I needed for such a smlll terrarium was a jar filled to the top with distilled water, with a fish heater inside it, turned all the way up. This also added almost all the humidity that I needed. For circulation, I added this:
    [img]http://www.**********.com/storefront/tropicaire.jpg[/img]
    you can buy it here for only 20 dollars:
    http://www.**********.com/cataloghtml/accessorycat.html
    This also added the rest of the humidity that I needed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much does it circulate? it sounds good. i could buy a couple.

what does everyone else think? will one of thsoe on each end be enough circulation?

or would a high powered air bump for about 100-150 be ok? i really dont want fans unless i have to have them.

also,does the ajr serve any purpose? i'll ahve some water in the bottom, can i stick the heater in that?

thanks sooo much!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast