Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New lighting

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, i'm about to start my new terrarium. its a brand new 75 gallon tank. 48'' long, 21'' hish, and 18'' wide. I have 2 normal out put ballast (each powers 2 4' fluors) and a VHO ballast (powers 4 4' fluors)

now then, what types of bulbs should i get? the bulbs that are lit by the VHO ballast will run alot brighter than normal bulbs and will have more lumens. they will be about double what a normal output bulb gives off, and then some.

so i need 8 bulbs total. what cambinations would work best for me? are there any 48 inch UV bulbs to gvie my plants enough uv?

one more thing, i've been being very worried about heat. how do i heat this terrarium? i want it to stay a constant 35 degrees C or 95 degrees F. it will house lowland neps. ect. this is my first time with Cp's in a serious way.

and about humity, will this mist maker be enough? i want my humidity level to be VERY high. as high as i can get them. http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

its the fith item down. M005(DK5-48)

would it be better to get that one, or 5 normal ones? the price difference isn't very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To begin you shouldnt need much more than the 440 watts of VHO's as for UV its not necessary, plants do not require supplimental UV to flourish. I would run two URI, AquaSun lamps and two URI ActinicWhite lamps, as for the NO's any cheap cool white and/or warm white lamps will do.

Heat should be no problem with all those lamps and ballasts over an enclosed glass box, neither should maintaining your humidity. Besides youll soon learn that your plants appreaciate a much lower constant day time temp than 95 degrees. Id say your definately going overboard with that fogger , ONE of smallest units should do it. Just remember those things get HOT so dont ever let it run dry.
    The one thing that youve omitted but I feel is a prerequisite is a fan, you need some way to move air around inside that tank or else youre going to end up with a hole host of problems. A simple 4" ac fan blowing against the glass top should do just fine.
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those bulbs are for aquarium use. are you sure? and how many warm tubes to cool tubes?

what can i get a fan? the back of the tank have about 2 inches of open space, theres also a 1.5 inch hole in the back. this has a bulkhead for it because it used to be a saltwater aquarium.

where would i get a small fan? are they any extremely small ones i can use on the inside? i would be great to ahve magnetic ones. like the fan part goes inside and is held on to the glass by a magnet on the outside.

and are you saying it would be bad to add the 2 other tubes? i would rather use them since they are sitting in the basement and are elss that a year old, and ti would give me a much wider variety of bulbs to use.

on all the sites i've been to, they say that nepenthes thrive under high temps. with 30-35 being excellent. i'd prefer 35 since it gives me more room for error. this tnk will house only lowlanders, no highlanders.

as for the fogger, why exactly woudl it be overkill?i thought neops liked high humitiy of ATLEAST 80 percent. i'd like my humidity to be very high, possible 100 percent. I'd like it to rub 24/7. my lights would 18 hours a day. should i buy 3 regular units and have them on timers so that each is on 8 hours per day? i'd have 4 inches of water in the bottom with a false bottom of eggcrate 2 inches above the water for the plants. is this too much water in the bottom to maintain proper humitidy? i'd like to grow utricularia and aldrovandas in the bottom as well.

and by the way, the ballast wouldn't be near the tank, they would go through the 2 inch cap of glass in the back through the bulkhead (1.5 inch hole) and they would be mounted in the stand below.

as for heat, what do i do at night when temps drop? should i but a couple of reptile heating pads and stick em under the tank?

i'm not questioning you words, if it seems like that. i'm jsut trying to get a better understanding. and thank you very much for posting, your like the only one so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, definatly, do they make small (small) fans for terrarium use? i want to use it inside, unless i can find a way to mount it inside the canopy to blow through the 2 inch caps in the back. but they wouldn't that dry out the plants in the back?

is the fan for fungus prevention or heat control? i could use a fungicide.

i dont think my dad will go for it unless its made for terrarium use. hes an electrician and water and electricity dont mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how come no one is replying?

i about 2 inches of open space between the rim of the tanka nd the glass that covers it. could i add some fans in my canopy directly over that space blowing air into it? si that enough movement?

what abotu soem small computer fans? how many? 2? 4?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pill [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ,

You may not be getting any replies yet because people are waiting for someone to reply that has some actual hands on experience with these things. We have a several members who have some big terrarium setups and they may not have had time in their schedule to check the forums to see whats new. Patience. In this elctronic age of instant information we sometimes forget the human element involved has its own time schedule [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] .

You also have to keep in mind that while the forum is based here in the USA, members are all over the world and in different time zones. They also may not spend as much time at the forum as many of us do [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .

The main purpose of the fan is to provide some air movement in your terrarium to discourage fungus growth. It will also even out the humidity and temps.

Blowing air from outside the terrarium into it would lower the humidity inside the terrarium. There are a couple members that have rigged humidifiers to the air intake of their terrarium to prevent that problem. There was a post a while back where somebody said they had mounted a comouter fan inside their terrarium but I don't remember the details. If you do a search of the Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens forum for "computer fan" I think you should find that thread.

Hope this was of some help. I know it's not a lot.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok.. what if i made a seperate compartment in the hood for just the fan? the fan would be mounted in the middle with space above it and below it. it could draw air in through the 2 inch gap, and it would blow air out the 2 inch gap.

this compartment would be wide enough for the fan. it would be 48 inches long all the way the length of the tank.

heres another idea. i could have twice the number of fans, say, 8 of them. they would be placed at regular intervals. 4 of them would be "upside down" they would suck in air from the tank, and blow it into the compartment, the other 4 would suck air from the compartment, and blow it into the tank.

i could make the whole canopy 6 inches to accomodate this.

they both have problems, i'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thats crazy i posted a huge reply to everything you asked last night and now its gone.
    Is someone deleting posts ?
    Peace

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast