User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bog garden questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have two "water garden" plastic tubs that i want to turn into bog gardens... they are about 2 feet deep and i was wondering if anyone has anytips on what to put in the bottom of the tub so i don't waste so much soil... i want to try to keep it light so i don't stress the plastic too much...any help would be great... thanks
    everyone who talks to me...is greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pine Bark
    Conservation just makes good sense!

stephend7

Arrow

I would fill the whole thing with soil if you are planting Sars. I have an unsubstantiated theory that they can be very happy with 1.5 to 2 feet of soil under them.

Also put a perforated pipe down through the bottom that pops up in one corner. It helps determine how much water is in there, give you a place to ad more water, and allows you to take water out if you have to.

If you really want to lighten it a bit, you could put in 6" of perlite. You could also mix it with the rest of the soil instead of sand, I believe. Use peat and sand for the top 3" to 6" as perlite looks awful in my opinion. It does have a tendency to float to the top, so I'd put in a little more than less of the peat/sand at the top.

Stephen Davis
    www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com
    Bog 01 is a great place for construction shots of my bog. A little different than yours, of course

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just made a bog out of a pond liner. It's also about 2ft deep in the center. I used a mixture of pine bark nuggets and silca pebbles. It reduces the amount of peat that I have to use and it also creates a space in the bottom that can store water. This is the first time that I have done one this way so I'll have to keep you posted on how well it works.