What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coconut basket

How do I make a coconut basket for my terrarium?

err

could you be a little more specific on what you want to do?

I want to make a basket out of a coconut half

I make my coconut baskets by ripping out the fiber from the coconut and putting it in a wire basket. It helps to use a little glue from a gluegun to hold the initial strands of fiber in place. you might also try taking out some of the fiber from the coconut half and using that as a basket... now that I think about it, i'm gonna try that out to see how it works!
smile.gif

Jœl

make sure it's washed and free of salt.

If you wanted to make a neat hanging planter you could use the coconut shell cut in half. Remove the coconut flesh and put a few holes in for drainage and a few around the cut edge to run some wire or twine to hang it. Coconut shell is very rot resistant.

Tony

HEY that's my idea!!! ROYALTIES!!! LOL

Tony

Or this...
wink.gif

rafflesiana3.jpg

Nice hanging coco basket mindmaze! But Cindy's has a built in tray AND a stand!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
Cindy, you better patend it before mindmaze copies you!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

mindmaze, how do you take out all of the white 'filling' inside of the coco shell, when it's only 1/4 of the way open? doesn't look like your hand could fit in the opening to clean it out...
confused.gif

what i'd do to take the white filling out is take a potatoe peeler , knife or spoon .btw , cindy , very impressive cindy and mindmaze .

Be my guest and copy it...
rolleyes.gif

I can't possibly make it...puny lady, not much strength to chip and chop the coconut!

It's commercially available for us here and I believe it to be a product of either Malaysia or Indonesia...the locals there are very good with such handicraft...and it's pretty cheap too...maybe USD$1?  
smile.gif

Taking out the white stuff is the tricky part. I still haven't found an efficient way to do it. So far, the easiest method for taking out the white stuff is to let the coconuts out in the sun for a few days. This dries out the meat a little, and it sort of shrinks and separates from the wall, making it much easier to remove with a flat head screwdriver or knife or similar utensil. The problem comes when it rains and the coconuts fill up with water.... it really STINKS. :S

Jœl

Just give the coconut to some kids. Tell them they can have the coconut meat, but you want the shell when its empty. It should be cleaned out in about five minutes....depending on how many kids there are
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Back