What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie terrarium

• Thread starter Warped54321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    terrarium
W

Warped54321

I've been thinking about it and i think i'd like to start a terrarium. What would be some good stuff for a newbie to put in his terrarium?
Thanx-warped
alien.gif

That's going to be a heavily opinionated subject, so I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers. I recently got a 3 gallon terrarium from this site, and have a common VFT, a Dente VFT, and a Drosera Intermedia (to arrive this week) in it.

I'd recommend a VFT if you're interested in them. They aren't that hard to grow and most owners really enjoy them. You also may want to consider a D. Spatulata. As I understand it they live through just about anything, so it's a good starting plant for us newbies.
tounge.gif

I'm sure someone else can give you some suggestions from here. Good luck!

Oh yeah, i forgat to ask...how many should I start out with in my Begginer's terrarium?
Thanx- Warped
alien.gif

Sorry...i have another question I forgat to ask
wink.gif
. How would I water a terrarium?

I reccomend you buy one of the terrarium kits from here! Then you'd just add water by carefully pouring it in. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

They have those here?...kool, i'll look into that...
What kind of plants would you all reccomend me to grow in my first terrarium?

I would stick with the lower light tolerant plants. Overheating a terrarium with sunlight can be a potential problem and some plants like flytraps really need very bright light to thrive.

Perhaps the Pinguicula and Drosera would make a nice combination.
Tony

biggrin.gif
Sorry...i have a lot of questions
biggrin.gif

How big are the terrariums here? (i mean width/ height)
and What kind of drosera and...the other thing ("p" word) would you reccomend me grow?

Thanx- Warped
alien.gif

Ok...my mom had a 10 gallon aquarium tank that she said she'd let me use to do this thing (hey, it saves a few bucks) How would I set that up?
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warped54321 @ July 14 2003,5:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok...my mom had a 10 gallon aquarium tank that she said she'd let me use to do this thing (hey, it saves a few bucks)  How would I set that up?
alien.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Warped,
My advice is to check out Terrarium pictures.  It will give you and idea of how many different ways there are to set up a terrarium.  Look them over and combine the ideas you see into something that you like.  Experiment!

alien.gif

they no longer sell terrarium kits on this site
and with shipping and all it is cheaper and youll get lots more room buying a 10 gallon aquarium at a pet store

With the 10 gallon terrarium, I recommend keeping the plants in the pot. I thought I had a perfect substrate terrarium, having the water flow down into the bottom, I even drill a hole at the bottom since it got flooded with rain, it worked decently, but the environment just isn't right for them. They tend to heat up during my direct sunlight. So I keep moving them into the shade. With direct sunlight its way over 90 F, with around 85% humidity. Some of the tips started to burn. So keeping pots in the terrarium so you can easily move them is the way to go. If you think its plain you can puts live sphagnum moss as the substrate and the terrarium over it. It looks pretty. And if You still think its plan, but some drift wood in the back, make a crack in the driftwood, put some potting mix, and add a plant in the crack, and allow the some moss to be formed around the driftwood. Its pretty =D.

Back