What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My bog idea

Hi everyone.  I have an idea for a bog that i would like to build it the spring. I want to put sarrs., vfts, temperate sundews and temperate pings in the bog.  The bog will be buried in the ground with rocks around the edges to conceal them. Since i live in Ohio and it gets very cold here i plan to mulch the bog in the winter to protect it.  I plan to put down about a foot of straw, cover the straw with plastic sheeting and put another foot on top of that.  Does this sound right?  I'll do this when we start to get many nights with lows in the 20's and highs in 30s, probably sometime in Nov.

Below are my cheesy pictures of what i want my bog to look like.

My%20bog-%20top%20jpeg.JPG

^ This is the top view of my bog.

my%20bog-%20side%20jpeg.JPG

^ This is the side view of my bog.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments??  Thanks!!!

-buckeye

Kiddie pool might not be the best choice. I've seen these get pretty brittle after about a year or so. You might want to reconsider... dig your hole in the ground and line it with butyl rubber. A lot of ponds are made that way. A little more expensive but longer lasting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kiddie pool might not be the best choice. I've seen these get pretty brittle after about a year or so. You might want to reconsider... dig your hole in the ground and line it with butyl rubber.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ok thanks. Can i get a butyl rubber liner at some place like Lowes?

-buckeye

Possibly, or maybe a landscaping company. I know my local Lowes carries fairly inexpensive black plastic liners in different sizes and shapes. Those would be much better than a kiddie pool.

Yes, Lowes, Menard's and Home Depo carry the liners, but they are cheaper on the internet. I have a good sized bog (in ground) I put in this last spring. It has a liner and works wonderfully. My bog is feed by a pond. You could actually use the small well to feed your bog. All you have to do is make sure that at a certain level the water flows into the bog. I like the fogger and may add one to my bog next year.

Dyflam is right. The kiddy pools do not stand up.

Also you should add some LFS to you soil mix. Mine is peat, LFS, Perilite, and sand.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could actually use the small well to feed your bog.  All you have to do is make sure that at a certain level the water flows into the bog.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I thought about this too.  The problem would be to get the water to flow out but not back in.  If the water ran back in it would be dirty and clog up the fogger and pump.

I have one more question.  Do you guys suggest making holes in the liner to allow some drainage?  If so, should i make them in the bottom of the bog or on the sides (down about 3" from top)?  After i build the bog i will probably put my cold frame greenhouse over top to protect it from wind, rain and early frost damage.  I want to make a bog because i hope to lower the amount of time needed to maintain my cps.  I've actually got a plan in mind that will automate the watering of the bog.  It involves pvc pipe, a water pump, tubing and a timer. Hopefully with this system all i'll have to do is occasionally weed, and cut off dead leaves.  

-buckeye

Since i couldn't wait til spring to build my bog i started on Thursday. I dug a 3' x 4' x 22" deep hole. Then i lined it and filled it with two large bales of peat and one 50# bag of silica sand. I'm going to mix in some LFS like copper suggested after i get the peat wet. So far i've added about 20 gallons of ro water. I'm guessing it's going to take between 10 and 20 more gallons! My ro filter has been running non-stop for two days. It only makes about a gallon an hour even though the place i bought it from says it makes 100 gal. a day. I guess that depends on how pure the water is to start with. After the peat is throughly soaked i'll add my plants.

-buckeye

Well i got all my cp's into the bog. I didn't realize i had as many as i do until i started placing them in the bog. It looks pretty good even though it's full of half dormant plants. It still needs more water though. Right now i've added around 30 gallons and it may need more. The water level rose significantly after the last 10 gallons i added so the water i added before must have soaked in pretty well.

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Oct. 14 2003,6:48)]Kiddie pool might not be the best choice. I've seen these get pretty brittle after about a year or so. You might want to reconsider... dig your hole in the ground and line it with butyl rubber. A lot of ponds are made that way. A little more expensive but longer lasting.
or put one of those containers from Lowes in it, Those black ones, that are meant to be ponds

Back