What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I purchased a 28" long x 16" wide x 16" deep white plastic flower trough (it has two removeable drainage plugs if I want to flush the soil later on). I want to plant sarracenia, sundews and VFTs in it. But I'm curious as to when I should plant them in the box? Is it ok to do it now or should I wait until mid winter when they're in their dormacies?

I will grow the box outside from about April til November and then in a cool north western window overwinter (to give them a dormancy).

Here's an actual list of the plants (and their sizes) that I want to put in there:

2 D. intermedia 2 1/2" diameter
1 D. binata various length arms
2 S. alata  3" H
2 S. flava  3" H
3 S. purpurea  2-3" H  (all 3 ssp. varieties)
2 S. rubra 3" H
3-5 VFTs from 4"-8" high
1-3 P vulgaris (If I ever find a supplier with real P vulgaris)
I'm trying to decide if I should try a Phragmegenium orchid in there too...

My thoughts on a soil mix is:
1 part sphagunum peat
1 part sand
1 part long fiber spahgnum
(with of course a top dressing of living longfibered sphagnum)

would pearlite be better to use than sand? With sand added it always seems such a heavy mix, I would think pearlite might be better for the roots to penetrate through but I really don't know which would be best. I know pearlite would be better for my back lugging the thing to the house every fall)!  
biggrin.gif

I'm thankful for any thoughts!

Swords,
I am actually planning on doing something similar next year with my window box (about 2' by 4" by 6") out on my deck railing. I don't see why it wouldn't work. In my case, I am going to have to be a little more active with the water (the tray isn't very deep compared the depth of the pot), but that's no problem....more time with the plants!
wink.gif

Swords, I'd go with the Perlite for two reasons. First it's a lot lighter than sand and second it's porous and will help hold moisture in the soil better than sand would.

Pearlite is lighter
smile.gif
but it also floats to the surface and makes a mess in an outdoor bog
sad.gif
. Instead of moving it eackh season you may want to consider making a portable cold frame to place over it in the winter to give it added protection.

Back