What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouses

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    greenhouse
G

About how much would it take to get a simple greenhouse set up, with heating, humidifiers, etc. ?

Depends greatly on where you live .. ie what kind of heating and or cooling you would need based on what plants and temperature range your trying to run.

A simple steel hoop ghouse is not that expensive and can often be found cheap used. NepG would be able to give you an idea on what he's spent already just on the very basic system he has so far.

Very ball park figure for a small very basic bare minimum setup.. couple thousand dollars most likely more...
Tony

ooo! I can be useful here.
biggrin.gif

My gh simply consists of roughcut wood,plywood,double poly layering,a heater a fan and gravel and lots of other nessesitys.
Roughly so far it has cost my fmaily and I about $800.00 so far. That's pretty good compared to a couple thousand dollars! And luckily a friend of ours into greenhouses gave us the fan,and the hoops for the gh. Poly isn't cheap ($150.00) for a 100ft by 50ft roll. And so far we've made out pretty darn good! Just have to wait for winter to start throwing out the cold weather to see if I can keep it going!
smile.gif
Hope I have helped out.
smile.gif

Here is a place I was looking at: http://www.charliesgreenhouse.com/

If I actually get around to building a greenhouse, I will probably end up doing a 2x4 constructed frame with either glass or twin wall. There are many good plans for greenhouses in books at the library.

Nick

Charley's greenhouse is a pot of *&^%. They are outlandish in thier prices and the only thing reasonable worth buying are potting supplies! Twinwall IMHO is a waste of money, and espically if you want to grow nepentehs in a gh poly is superior as it diffuses the light very well. I say go for a large growchamber better yet. In your basement or something like a walk in chamber.

I actualy like what they offer here, http://www.gardenfantasy.com/cat/Products/mainhtml/greenhouses.htm, as mfaris sugdested.  It seems pretty affordable, not too large, and not too small.  Would this be right for nepenthes, and maybe some other cps? And, thought I should mention my dad lives in San Diego, CA on the immediate coast( cool and humid). Apreciate the help.

I made a 15 by 7 by 7 feet tall green house really cheap I went to were there doing new homes and got the wood they had in the trash bid . I only had to buy 15 bucks worth of wood .

To cover the green house I went to home detpo and paid 30 bucks for a hugh roll of 6 mil it dose fall apart after being in the sun all fall,winter,spring but that roll will last me 2 years. So 15 bucks a year is not bad.

Iv had this green house for 5 years now and it works great .

_-West-_

I've always used plastic, but for the small 16X6X7 house I'm building now, I've bought fiberglass. It will cost about 350 dollars, but it will be much better looking, and something neat and tidy does seem to set a standard when one works.

Where I'm at, we seldom get more than a light frost, so by closing a well constructed greenhouse at night I don't see the need for a heater, and by putting windows in the right places I've even grown flowers in the Kalahari desert without a fan.

In the drier areas of the US many people have their gardens and grass on an automatic timer, and most of these models can be set for several times a day. So, with maybe 50 dollar in parts, your watering system can be completely automated. I put these systems in for a living, so please ask if anyone has any questions about the wiring.

A small hint for windows: piano hinges.

So, I agree that for 7 or 8 hundred dollars you can make something to be proud of.

We put in our semi kit purchased from Lord & Burnham for a ridiculous amount ( comparatively ) of money.

Aluminum extrusion frame, Glass glazing. 9'x29' Attached to house. NOT the way to do it on the cheep. The results are wonderful and well worth the cost, but the cost is not trivial. I think that the kit (frame only) was around 2K, then there was glass, and foundation, building permits, etc.

However it went through the Northridge earthquake (4mi from epicenter) with minor damage (couple of cracked pains). It was worth it.

I say semi Kit because a contractor laid the slab.

The only problem is I need a bigger one and that means moving.

Back