From the TheNaturalisticVivarium@yahoogroups.com posts

Check out Aquarium Hobbyist Supply

They seem to be reasonable.

Take Care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only reason I am posting this is because I am new and need as much knowledge as possible.

This is in refrence to the above post, as in the "reasonable prices" posted above.

I bought a $13 48" (2 bulb) flourecent fixture, and 2 bulbs (1 is 5000K, 92 CRI @ 2200 lumens, the other is 6500K, 84 CRI @ 2325 lumens) the bulbs where about 6 bucks a piece. So.. for $25 I got more than I could get a single bulb from the store you refrenced. Are the bulbs and lights REALLY that much better??

I mean, I thought I did good by giving my plants a good range of color and a nice amount of lumens. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is better, but your looking at 10 times the price for what real advantages? (this is my real question)

Casper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not checked out the links but some things to consider with lighting and how/why prices can be so different.

By far the cheapest and easiest is standard shoplights with mass produced coolwhite/daylight type bulbs. These are so cheap because of the sheer volume these fixtures and bulbs are produced. Downside is they are normal fluorescent and the light intensity is low so the plants must be fairly close to effectively light the grow area. This is a problem when lighting a tall terrarium or when lighting plants which can grow very tall or lighting a mixed collection of tall and short plants.

The expensive compact units you see at these much higher prices are highoutput and very high output. They require special ballasts and bulbs to produce 2x and 3x the light of a normal bulb the same length and diameter. The upshot is the higher intensity will allow them to be placed further away and to light a larger area. A big plus for tall grow chambers. The down side as you noticed is the price because of the specialty bulbs and less mass produced ballasts to run them.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casper,
    Well, the color temp and CRI are comparable, but the lumens are not. I get a rediculous lux output from my set up. I think it's something like 10,000 lux at a distance of 20" (does anyone know how to convert that into lumens? Would it even make sense to convert that into lumens?).
    So I get a lot more light output per watt (the whole setup uses 110 watts).
    It is comparable to a 400 watt HID light, but it's opperates at a much cooler temperature. You can touch it without burning yourself.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Tom you have just got to show us your tank after your done with it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] It's going to look smashing! Its huge, you can fit a hole jungle in there! Good luck on your tank!

Cheers,
    Erick
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123