Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New grow chamber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....Well, after plenty of guidance from Swords regarding construction and lighting, as well as advice from Tony P., I just finished a new lowland Nepenthes grow chamber...here's a pic....

[img]http://home.**********.com/tomv/images/2.jpg[/img]

The front is a storm window (approx. 36" x 48") screwed into a frame of 2x3's and reinforced with L-brackets. The enclosure has a depth of approximately 30". The sides are composed of white waterproof wall surround, and the bottom is 3/4" plywood that has been coated three times with polyurethane and allowed to dry until no odor was present. The top is 1/4" plexiglass. Lighting is as follows: 3 Lights of America 65W compact flourescents (500W equivalent each), along with 2 normal twin tube 48" shop lights placed in the front and back (not in photo). Non-toxic waterproof caulk was used to seal up most seams.

Not counting the lighting, the total building cost was approx. $140...and $50 of that was for the plexiglass. I'll probably just use white plastic crates stacked in some sort of arrangement, along with white flourescent light diffuser to create tiered shelving. Hopefully, anyone who is contemplating a similar project can take some ideas away from this. Now comes the fun part...filling it with plants!

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Tom, that's brilliant! Very nice indeed....And you're right...now comes the fun part.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Awesome setup you got there, Tom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nicely constructed. Can't wait to see it with plants!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. How are you going to cover the above 70 F temps for lowland? Just curious.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

...The room the grow chamber is in stays around 70 at night and goes up to around 74 degrees during the day. The heat given off by the all of the flourescents sitting directly on top of the plexiglass get the chamber to around 85 degrees by mid day. The Lights of America 500W flourescents give off a decent amount of heat for flourescent bulbs.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brillant design. Thanks for sharing it.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome set-up, TomV! I'll have to make a ditto of it one of these days. Are the florecent lights halides or just florecent? 500 watts for one florecent is alot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast