Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peltier Cooling System

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is serious about this peltier idea and would like to persue it, I have an engineer friend in Brazil that has worked on the concept for some years now, and would be happy to arrange an email introduction. An economically feasible cooled terrarium would be a godsend to the world. I have been getting component parts for my friend to assist his efforts. There is a LOT of troubleshooting involved.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to share the fact that you can by thermoelectric coolers with thermostats already built for case cooling. They range from $160 to over a thousand depending on BTU ratings and such. The $160 is rated at about 400 BTU.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about a fridge with a clear dor, like they sell softdrinks out of? you can put the fridge on its back so the clear door is facing up, and put lights on top of it. you could put it on a timer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I am working on.

Outside of the cooler. The lid is cut open to allow a plastic sheet and a light to fit on the outside:

Inside of cooler. The metal box is the actual insert from the mini fridge. The metal box acts as the coldsink.

Peltier Cell and Heatsink. I currently only have the original heatff:cool switch.

I am currently getting a drop of about 13°F from ambient temps when the light is off. With the cooler on and the light on, temps rise about 5°F. I have to turn the peltier off to get a rise into the low 80's. I am currently manually manipulating temps.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to a less sophisticated but tried and true method to prechill flowing liquids, like the water in a CP tray.

Flash Cooler

All you would need to do is get a small pump to circulate the water and control it with a thermostat... Instant cool.

Or, you could loop 1/4" polyethylene tubing under the trays or in front of the fan depending on where you wanted the cold.

I am planning to eventually incorporate this into my greenhouse in order to grow Darlingtonia and other cool loving species.

Many days during the summer I will be lucky to get my daytiime temperatures below 90F. This always seems to be fatal to Darlingtonia.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,

Being one CP grower on Brazil - even living on the extreme south where the climate is subtropical - grow some temperate CPs can be nearly impossible. Faced with this problem I had the idea of make one cooled terrarium. This idea was sustained by my big USA friend Tamlin Dawnstar (Very thanks Tamlin!!), as he said on one posted message here. I commented the idea with Marco Craamer, one hollander CP grower and the simply cooled terrarium evoluted to one terrarium with the environment (temperature, humidity, photo period, water level and so on) controlled by means of one microcontroller circuit. We started one discussion group on yahoo groups called terrariumcontroller group. The group only accept members under approval of me and Marco just to limit the number of members to the people really interested on the issue.
    If you are interested too, please send one message directly to my email, if possible.

Best regards,

Joćo Roberto

jrgabbardo@cpovo.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12