What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Terrarium, MarkI

20031129-CP-Highland%20Terrarium,%20Mk1-N.fallax,N.diatas,%20N.aristolochioides.jpg

The humidity is provided only by the "lint trap" full of water, and with an old cotton sock dangling in the water and covering the louvers.  It's only at 65% right now ("daytime").  Is that going cut it if it goes up at night, or will it need to be higher?

The ventilation intake:
20031129-CP-Highland%20Terrarium,%20Mk1-The%20ventilation%20intake.jpg

65% is ok for the daytime, nightime would like to see it in the 80 to 100 percentile area. I think I'm going to do this for my greenhouse perhaps.....make a chiller setup with a simple fan but it will be a squirrel-cage style blower.

Okay, a few refinements.  I dropped an ultrasonic mister into the bottom in case i want to up the humidity nights, and insulated some of the conduit. Brrrr!

With the top on and the lint trap full of water, the humidity actually stays above 70%.  Last night it got down to 11*C, and it stays below 20*C days.  I added another light to increase the daytime temp (and growth
smile.gif
).

Final note:  I realized that it's already too small for my highlanders.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
sad.gif

20031201-CP-Highland%20Terrarium,%20Mk2-N.rajah,%20N.diatas,%20N.burbidgeae,%20N.aristolochioidesXthorelii,%20N.ephippiata,%20N.hamata,%20N.ramispina.jpg

20031201-CP-Highland%20Terrarium,%20Mk2-N.rajah,%20N.singalana,%20N.villosa,%20N.lowii,%20N.aristolochioides,%20N.diatas,%20N.burbidgeae,%20N.ephippiata,%20N.hamata.jpg

Those temps should make your plants very happy, just be sure they are not perpetually wet from the mist, it's ok in the day but at night it can promote rot and leaf spots. SO just be careful.
wink.gif
BTW, that hygrometer/thermometer you have there (I have the same one) is not very accurate humdity wise, I have found out. SO if your reading is 70% it might acually be 80%.

...mad scientist-esque....I like...

what kind of device are you using to measure humidity and how much does it cost?

Back