What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plant light

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I have a single 120V 60HZ grow light that I am wanting to use as a terr. light. I'll be using a ten gallon terrerium. I'll will turn the light on when I get up in the morning(around 7:30-9:00) and turn it off when I go to bed at night (anywhere from 9:30-11:00 though I usually 10:00) Will this work. Oh, also will it help to wrap the back sides and maybe the top with tin-foil?

Yes, it will help to wrap the sides with aluminum foil. If you tell us what light you have we can tell you if it is good or not, or you can read the post on lighting.

joe

The only thing the bulb says is that it is 120V and 60HZ grow light. And I don't have the box that it came in anymore so I can't give you anymore info.

Can you tell us whether its flourescent or incandescent?
Stats on power consuption do absolutley nothing for anyone.
Instead of tinfoil go to your local art supply house and pick up some mylar, vastly supperior to tin foil.

Peace

Hmm would Lowes carry it? if so where?

I tried getting mylar at Lowe's and other similar stores, with no success.  I ended up finding a roll for $15 at a local hydroponic shop.  Try looking one of those places up in your phonebook and give them a ring.  
smile.gif

I also have a 10 gallon terrarium for my nepenthes, at this time.  It seems  your question is regarding photoperiod as much as light intensitiy... for this question, we would need some bits of information, such as the type of bulb (is it shaped like a traditional light bulb?  It should have some info on the bulb itself).  Also, what plants are you gonna grow?  Some need dormacy, others do not.  

-Homer

The light is sorta old, and all it says is what I put in the first post. It also says: GE growstick

Sunstick huh? You can try it and if the plants don't grow well let us know. Tin foil will work if you have no mylar, its better than nothing of course.

What species will you be growing? If you plan to grow ones that require dormancy, that must be respected otherwise they will eventually die.

-Homer

Flourescent lights age, and become less useful as time passes producing less of the needed spectrum for plant growth. I replace my bulbs about every 8 months to keep my plants happy.

I bought a roll of mylar on ebay for under ten bucks including shipping.....that was like last year though

what is the best type of bulb, and intensity, wattage wise? I am using four 40 watt 48" (getting more soon) gro lux. Is there a better bulb, more intense that would work on a 55 gallon tank? I have very good results with what I have, but I want better results (isn't that always the case?)

Back