What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pink light???????

hey i bought a normal flouresant tube set up and the tubes which came with it was pink. Is this good? the shop sold those normal white tubes, should i change it to the normal white ones? they also sold a "blue aquarium tube". WHich is best or are there better ones i can get? also whats the difference? Does the different colour lights affect the plants differently?
thanks

also the light has a nasty smell, i dont know if its burning... or is the smell produced by the pink light?
if thats bad ill change it

I have a few specialized lights like these meant for reptiles that are supposedly coated with rare earth nicodium or neodeium...something like that speeling. Anywho, it's just prolly the heat  your smelling and the "burning in" of the light itself. I'm not to sure what they would do, but thought I'd add my expierence with 'pink' lights.

ok thx so its perfectly safe right? the heat produced by the bulbs aren't so hot but the heat generated is really hot. It burns when you touch the metal casing

The heat is from the ballast inside the light. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
The light being pink can be two different things.

1) If the light is not as bright as it should be then there is a problem with the light.

2) If the light is bright and the light don't seem to be pulsating then you have a reddish color tube. You could have a warm white tube or some other. I wired a grocery store once and they had special readish pink tubes over the meat dept. to make the meat look redder and fresher. Look on the tube near the one end and you'll see some numers and letters. post them here and I'll let you know what kind of tube it is and if it's normal.

If the problem is with the light I'll help you find the problem. Sometimes if one of the tubes is not making really good contact it will cause the light to be pinkish. Make sure the pins in the tubes are making good contact.

thanks ozzy

the lights are bright when its turned on. These are the readings on one of the bulbs:
Mitsush
aquarium light
TB 230V 50Hz 15watt

also I plan to use it on lowlanders. Is it enough for most lowlanders? Its about 5 inches from the plants.

what voltage do you have powering the light?

Hi wezx,

I've got a pink tube as well. It's a combined aquarium and plant tube, listed as "Philips 15w, 410 lumens, Plant & Aquarium". It's considered a "warm" color, if you look at various posts about lighting people mention combining "warm" with "cool (white)" colors.

I have the pink and a regular white in my nep terrarium. Seems to do fine. I have to admit though, that the pink light is a bit distracting to see as it bounces off my wall. Gosh, why does it have to be pink!?! My least favorite color...
mad.gif

Back