Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To: Build a Plant Shelf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very thorough write-up. Well done.

I agree that a roll of mylar can make a huge difference in the effective light, so consider getting some. It's cheap. It's also great for insulating a lowland terrarium if your room tends to get chilly in the winter as mine does. A single 50W heater keeps the whole 50 gallon tank warm at night because it's surrounded on the top and all sides with mylar.

The shelving you're talking about is generically known as "metro shelving", i suppose the original maker was metro. The version available here (that i use) is by a company called wireworks, and it is very cool and modular shelving, i have to say. Appeals to the lego-maniac in me.

Finally, T12 lights are not the best way to go if you have modern options, so i have to disagree with your recommendation. T8 bulbs and the corresponding electronic-ballasted fixtures are nearly as cheap here, and are much more efficient and environmentally friendly. T12 has been deprecated, as it were (for any other programming buffs), by the government, and T8 is what big contractors are using now.

My two shoplight fixtures that hold two 4', 32W, T8 bulbs were less than $16 total, and produce roughly as much light as T12 shoplights consuming ~16W more.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went out to Lowe's tonight, and bought the items I need to make those shelves, everything except the casters.

Here is the finished setup:

The lights were GE plant & aquarium lights.

The only thing I still want to do is make a humidity hood, using either transparent mylar or vinyl. Does anybody have any suggestions where I might find that?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get transparent vinyl film from hardware stores like Ace. They sell it off of a big roll at the one by my apartment, alongside the replacement window screens and such.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 12 2005,2:22)]You can get transparent vinyl film from hardware stores like Ace. They sell it off of a big roll at the one by my apartment, alongside the replacement window screens and such.
    ~Joe
    I found that 2 heavyweight shower curtain liners made of clear, transparent vinyl (Bed, Bath & Beyond, $5.99 each) worked perfectly.

Here it is with the humidity cover:

(Click for larger image)

I may also hang a piece of reflective mylar along the back side to reflect light back in.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a slighty important question... how big is the box for the shelving? My car is pretty small.. so I need to know if I need to steal my mom's car for the day or not (she has a Saturn Vue.) :P

Lowes is a good half hour drive away too so.. the last thing I want to do is drive up there, find out my car is too small, then have to drive back and have to switch vehicles.. then rinse and repeat. x_x
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costo is selling these in chrome for $74.97 US. 72" x 47.5" x 18" six tiers with wheels.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by D_muscipula; 08-24-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: broken links
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know if aluminum foil helps in reflecting light, as mylar does?
    I rigged up some around the sides of my plants, in order to add some light. Not sure how effective it really is though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast