Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lighting fiasco ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

So there I am in Home Depot, and what should mine wadering eyes find? 65watt, 9200 lumen, 6500k, 84 cri flood lights. Boy, sounds great, right? So I thought.

Took one home....DOH! they're suppposed to be wall mounted, no plug. Back to HD. talk to electrician guy. Very helpful, set me up with wire, plug, "box" and squeesy thingies. Go home, rig up light. Works. COOL!

Go buy three more light (need four). Rig 'em up. NONE WORK!
    Take 'em back. Three more come home. Two don't work, one does. Set up with original on big tank. Putter around a bit, unplug by accident, plug back in, one of two remaining now no longer works. If I tilt it one way, it will go on, but not facing down. Loose wires (same problem in most of the others that didn't work).
    WHAT GIVES?!? WHAT DID I DO TO TICK OFF HOME DEPOT?!?

Sorry, had to vent....So, anyone know where you can get compact flourescent lights WITH PLUGS that take the 65 watt flourex bulbs?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have been a bad and incredibly unlucky shipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, I knew something like that would happen so I opened up the box, and plugged it in at the store. One looked light looked kinda funny to me, but whatever. Took it home and found someone had left a very expensive aquarium and plant light in there. Yay!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Flourex are great bulbs-I use them on my highland tank. I too have seen some shady ones (broken) being sold I wonder how they stay in business selling broken lights... Just make sure you keep your receipts and return them or exchange them if they don't work. Work through every box they have on the shelf Make them restock the whole shipment!
    I've never seen these at Home depot (must go look tonight!) I've only ever found them at Menards and they quit carrying them a year or so ago. On ebay some hydroponics company is selling two of these worklights screwed together and supplied with a plug and sold as "1000 W grow light" for almost $200! Har har, it's actually two 65W fluorex work lights worth only about $40-50!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Michelle, give me my good luck back! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Josh, that's exactly what I plan to do. Return all the broken ones (again), until I get lamps that work....hopefully I can refrain from becoming a homocidal maniac in the process.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they KNOW they are broken when they sell them, lol. Those things get damaged a lot in shipping and they usually send broken ones back to the factory for replacments. Maybe a pile of ones to be sent back got mixed up with the good ones... or a shipment got jiggled to much and damaged.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List