Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Greenhouse owners whose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not mind you asking at all...

Something to ponder, last year I rented spare greenhouse space to grow out my tropical waterlilies for $200.00 per month. I was able to grow out to blooming size approximately 20 lilies that could be sold for $50.00 each retail. That equals $1000.00 in sales and $200.00 in rental space with $800.00 in profit. There are other expenses to work into the equation but if you break it down for the whole year you begin to see where your profits are.

If you were to start with a "Proprietorship" and online sales you can make a modest living while still considering it a hobby.

Cheers,
    Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear that there is profit possible right from the start!

Wait a minute, am I right in assuming that if I began a small business now keeping growing my Hobby as I am doing now, AND as you said rent the space and sell the plants...am I right in assuming that I could right off all CP expenses as Business expenses on my taxes?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you don't have a promised income, especcially if you have workers I'd keep with both, and use the Multimedia as a default if the plant industry takes a dive or somethin' You could also use your film skills as a moneymaker too. You could start a picturetaking buisness and maybe sell pictures (Maybe even about CP's). Or you could make a website, and post the pics of your plants.
    As you can see there are a million roads to chose from, but most immportant, STAY IN COLLEGE
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 09 2004,8:58)]As you can see there are a million roads to chose from, but most immportant, STAY IN COLLEGE
    Amen to that. My father left College for a "great" rich quick money maker. The job left him looking for other jobs. He had only ONE SEMESTER left before his Bachelor's, but felt he didn't need it.

Now, he has had several great jobs and is happy. But, has been often overlooked JUST because he didn't have a degree in something. It didn't matter how much experience he had, the younger man with the Degree in "Basket Weaving" would get hired over him.

I figure I'll continue learning the programs I will need to get a job in Multimedia if I have to because of the Plant industry dying out. So, as long as I get my Horticulture Degree I will have a Bachelor's Degree in Science on my Resume to get me into a job when needed.

Thanks for the tip Kirk.
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen!
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,
    You may want to consider the step by step approach if you can get enough funds generated by your plant sales.

Here is how I grew my business over the last 6 years:

The whole set up was self financed from plant sales and now I am in profit seeing approx 1,500 plants sold each year.
    If you can build up while you actually do not require any income from it, that is the best way. Our tax laws here encourage to a certain degree continuous investment, but there comes a point where it needs to run. This way has meant for me the lowest overheads as it is at my home.

I hope that has given you a few ideas..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, Mike! It is amazing to think the progress you had in a considerably short time! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for the idea. My wife and I are needing to move from the apartment we are renting, and we are ready to buy a home. We should be able to build a greenhouse out back and I will soon enjoy the freedom to grow my plants in a little more open space, instead of 10 gallon terraria. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12