What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to build a greenhouse!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 28 2004,11:02)]here is another GH plan, only out of all PVC
cool.gif
PVC GH
That is sweet... looks fairly easy too. I'll bet even I could do that.
biggrin.gif

Now that you've had that greenhouse for almost a year, I was curious how it faired through the Ohio winter and which arm and leg you gave up to heat it?
smile_m_32.gif
Seriously though, how hard was it to keep it heated. I would like to build a greenhouse to house Saras and other temperates that require dormancy. I would like to keep it above 35 degrees in Winter, but I'm afraid here in Colorado with temps regularly down in the single digits at night it would be ver expensive to heat.

yes please inform us about the heating bills and how it stodd up to the snow
thanks

Brad

I have only read the first page, so sorry if this response is out-of-date. In Nebraska, we would probably call an outdoor PVC greenhouse "a kite"...
 Though I really doubt it's as windy there as in the plains here.

smile.gif

Cheers,

Joe

PS Read the rest, and am embarrassed that I did not realize how old the origin of the thread was, lol.
So, how did it do?

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/plans/gable-plans.shtml

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buckeye @ Mar. 28 2004,4:03)]Hi everyone.  We finished my greenhouse on Saturday.  It ended up taking up most of my spring break since we had quite a few rainy days.  But we finally got it done

These are my costs:
Greenhouse sheeting: 20x24' (including s&h) - $61.78

Pressure treated lumber:  
          9- 2x4x8'- $26.73
          3- 2x4x12'- $16.47
          2- 4x4x6'- $9.94
          5- 2x6x14'- $47.90 (I didn't have to buy these since my dad had enough leftover from another project)

PVC: 13- 3/4"x10' pvc pipe- $18.07
        4- 3/4" pvc crosses- $4.68
        2- 3/4" pvc tees- $0.56

Basement storm window and screen- $16.00
Misc. screws, lag bolts, EMT straps- around $15

Total: $217.13

Here's a link to the plans I used: Plans

We made a few changes to these plans in order to make the greenhouse stronger.  If you'd like to know what chages we made please PM me.

-buckeye
Greenhouse sheeting: 20x24' (including s&h) - $61.78

Pressure treated lumber:
9- 2x4x8'- $26.73
3- 2x4x12'- $16.47
2- 4x4x6'- $9.94
5- 2x6x14'- $47.90 (I didn't have to buy these since my dad had enough leftover from another project)

PVC: 13- 3/4"x10' pvc pipe- $18.07
4- 3/4" pvc crosses- $4.68
2- 3/4" pvc tees- $0.56

Basement storm window and screen- $16.00
Misc. screws, lag bolts, EMT straps- around $15

having a place to relax and spend time with your plants every day- priceless

Back