User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap way of testing humidity

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey i want to test the humidity in my terrarium just once and i don't want to waste 20-30 dollars on a humidity meter. (i live in singapore) i just want to know roughly how much humidity there is, anyone have any methods?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is moisture on the glass then I would say you have plenty of high humidity....

Seriously though.. there should be no reason to worry about humidity in a terrarium unless the top is significantly open.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a terrarium on its side and i only got about 3/4 of the tank covered the rest are open, is this enough?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the plants happy and growing well and making lots of nice pitchers?

This is your best indication.. and doesn't require buying a hygrometer (which are notoriously inaccurate unless you buy an expensive lab quality one).
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just finished this terrarium and i keep sundews, vfts and sarrs and other smaller cps, they need quite high humidity right? i think ill just buy a big piece of hard plastic and cut it to shape
    thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown vfts and Sarracenia out on my windowsill in the NE US. They seem to do fine in moderate humidity. Drosera seem to do better in higher humidity.

If you tape some plastic over the top 3/4 of the side opening I would think it should hold plenty of humidity for most plants.. Isn't the humidity naturally pretty high in Singapore?

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the plants you mentioned do not need much humidity. Sarracenias grow quite well outside here in arid Southern California. I have vft's and sundews growing in trays of water under grow lights. Many nepenthes need the humidity, but as long as you provide enough water, most plants will be fine. Not to mention that Singapore should be humid enough as it is.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah Singapore high humidity near the grounds but im 7 stories above the ground! also my apartment does not have narural sunlight so i have to grow my plants in terrariums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast