User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIster: Bring down the temperature?

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey im almost finished my my new terrarium, I measured the temperature, 35 DEGREES CELCIUS!!!
    alright i have a spare mister and i have in in a container in my terrarium, will this bring down the temperature to about 25 degrees celcius? maybe i should fix a fan to cool the lights?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not quite sure what you mean by mister but I doubt it will drop the temperature noticeably. What kind of lights are you using and how is it set up?

What is the temperature outside the terrarium?
    What kind of plants are you puting in it?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your going to need some serious air exchange in order to effect the temp that much.
    Peace

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    the room temperature is 28-30 degrees celcius
    The set up is 2 ft tank turned on its side and i have about 150w pl lights blasting down
    i plan to put sundews, pings, VFTs, cephalotus and shorter sarrs in it

Anyway i added the mister to my terrarium and the temperature dropped by only 1 degrees celcius

I have air exchange the high temp is caused by singapore's hot weather and the lights, i guess ill start up some old DC fans to cool down the lights

1 more thing, i tested the mister for about 15 minutes and when i came back, the whole tank was flooded, some water was dripping down (the tank is on the second level of a shelve)

how many times should i turn on this mister a day? if i turn it on for the whole day, my wooden structure would rot!

thanks!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, why the heck didnt you mention you were in singapore!
    Of course evaportive cooling wont work for you, your in one of the most hot and humid places on earth. You need to have dry air inorder for that to work effectively.
    You need to get your self an air conditioner and plumb it to the tank.
    You could also try using a peltier, http://www.peltier-info.com/
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the mister will make more problems than it will solve. About the only genus that might benefit from such would be Nepenthes. Drosera certainly dont appreciate it.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Khaim i think ill fix up some old DC fans to cool the lights down, i live the air is not too humid in my apartment because it is 7 stories above the ground
    Tamlin: I had an extra mister lying around and my drosera was not producing much dew, i also wanted more air circulation so i thought turning on the mister a few times a day will help, hmmm maybe for some extra humidity i can take away the mister and use just the container of water?
    that might be better

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wes,

In my conditions I find that if the plants are getting enough light, dew follows. Most of my Drosera, in fact all of them, are in about 40-50% relative humidity. I don't grow in terraria, and use these mostly for starting out plants. Light is the single most important factor. with it you get strong healthy plants with good dew. Remember, the "dew" is not really dew, it is closer to mucilege. I have had plants in nearly dry substrates and low humidity produce dew. The mist will act to water down this mucilege, and also promotes the growth of fungi that can attack the glands that produce the dew. Once the glands are attacked, they never recover. So what you end up with is an otherwise healthy (but dewless) plant. My best plants are on a rack with 6 40 watt floureascents over them. No glass or plastic between them and the light. Glass and plastic cut back most of the spectrum the plants need. In the winter months when the hear runs I hanf a plastic sheet over the front of the rack, but that is all. I even have started growing the Queensland Drosera like this, and they are doing well.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast