Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting for a terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys i'll check all of those out. I hope i can find them in Oz though.
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:
    Do not want others to know what you have done? You should not have done it in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would these sorts of lights be ok

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=43555

Thats one from ebay that i saw in another post somewhere. But i couldn't find it. Thanks
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:
    Do not want others to know what you have done? You should not have done it in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one Olly! That's the Fluorex.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard alot of bad things about Flourex as well. The Regent I have is:
    65wtt-6500lumens-90CRI-6500K. Good point Caps, the manufacturers will BS a little on the ratings. The Regent is waterproof and replacement bulbs are $10 and mine worked on the first try and still running. 24hrs a day. It's actually a street light. Some of the Envirolites (?) are great lights as well. Thats what we used when I worked for an Interiorscaper. You might look at the light topic by Swords, that was extremely helpful when I decided I needed alot more light intensity. I thought I was going to have to go with the ever so famous and expensive MH. Good thing I read that and found out about massive compacts. They're cheaper and yeah cheaper (power used and replacement along with startoff costs)

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I you have a terrarium is it possible to have lighting from the sides as well??
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!, although at least here you can also buy a product called mylar which is a highly reflective metal that is used for lining the walls and then the light will reflect back and forth until something picks it up. There is also another name for it that I cannot think of at the moment.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, a cheap sustitute for mylar is aluminum foil. Most people have it in the kitchen. Just tape some to three walls of the terrarium, and the brightness drastically increases. You can make a flap to cover the front, too, for when you're not viewing it. Notice that most foil has a shiny side and a dull side. Point the shiny side in.

I agree that this is the way to go, as it is less cumbersome than trying to light from the side.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True Caps, you caught me. I actually have foil on my terrariums not mylar. Just didn't think of it. On the ball to save Olly some cash, and hey you can always spend saved money on more plants

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast