What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting for a terrarium

Hey guys i was just wondering, what would be the best way to light up my terrarium. It will be 1m long by 80cm high by 50cm wide. Sorry but i don't know what that is in inches. Thanks.

P.S. I already have two cool white and two warm white bulbs but i dont think that will be enough. Maybe compact fluorescents?

Olly

Some people use a product referred to as Grow Lights.

Umm could you give me some more info??? Would they be powerful enough to light up a biger space than fluorescents??
Olly

Hey again i have done some research on fluorescent grow lights and i think they will do the job. But i am not sure. Does anyone in NSW Australia know where to get them or are they just available at lighting shops or nurseries etc. Thanks!!
Olly

Sounds like the lights will be a fair distance from the plants because of the height. Your going to need some high intensity lighting to provide enough light to the plants.

Hmm. That's about 40 inches long, 31 inches high, and about 20 inches wide. That's a bit shorter than the 48 inch fluorescent tubes, and 36 inchers are hard to find. You could go with four 24-inch tubes. Another alternative is a higher wattage compact fluorescent grow light. One brand is Fluorex. You could fit at least two of those over the terrarium, and the light would be plenty bright. They're about $40 each.

Capslock

Caps,
The only problem is that in some places (in U.S.) Flourex cannot be found and the alternative is a light which I use called Regent, it's the same thing really except slightly more lumens and price is like $50 for fixture and $10 for bulb.
Olly, be weary of Compact flour.'s from grow companies some of these lights they sell are the same as I and Capslock speak of except they are much, MUCH more expensive. Watt for watt, lumen for lumen, same Kelvin rating.

Joe

Joe,
Absolutely right! I have an "Envirolite" hood, too, and it cost something like 120 bucks! It's brighter than the fluorex (the claims of manufacturers are dubious even on good lights), but not three times as bright as the $40 Fluorex. (not even twice as bright.)

Oh, and check ebay for some good deals on Fluorex lights. By the way, these lights have a reputation for some low quality control, and I've hear some people's just don't work and they have to return them. But that's why they're cheap. And when they do work (all mine have), they're a great deal.

Capslock

Thanks guys i'll check all of those out. I hope i can find them in Oz though.
Olly

That's the one Olly! That's the Fluorex.

Capslock

I have heard alot of bad things about Flourex as well. The Regent I have is:
65wtt-6500lumens-90CRI-6500K. Good point Caps, the manufacturers will BS a little on the ratings. The Regent is waterproof and replacement bulbs are $10 and mine worked on the first try and still running. 24hrs a day. It's actually a street light. Some of the Envirolites (?) are great lights as well. Thats what we used when I worked for an Interiorscaper. You might look at the light topic by Swords, that was extremely helpful when I decided I needed alot more light intensity. I thought I was going to have to go with the ever so famous and expensive MH. Good thing I read that and found out about massive compacts. They're cheaper and yeah cheaper (power used and replacement along with startoff costs)

Joe

I you have a terrarium is it possible to have lighting from the sides as well??
Olly

Yes!, although at least here you can also buy a product called mylar which is a highly reflective metal that is used for lining the walls and then the light will reflect back and forth until something picks it up. There is also another name for it that I cannot think of at the moment.

Joe

Joe, a cheap sustitute for mylar is aluminum foil. Most people have it in the kitchen. Just tape some to three walls of the terrarium, and the brightness drastically increases. You can make a flap to cover the front, too, for when you're not viewing it. Notice that most foil has a shiny side and a dull side. Point the shiny side in.

I agree that this is the way to go, as it is less cumbersome than trying to light from the side.

Capslock

True Caps, you caught me. I actually have foil on my terrariums not mylar. Just didn't think of it. On the ball to save Olly some cash, and hey you can always spend saved money on more plants
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Joe

Hah yeah, But what i meant was like if there wasn't enough light coming from the top can you put lights on the sides as well.
Olly

Sure, if you come up with a way for the lights to hang or something. However I would be careful as the more lights means more heat. I haven't heard of it before but I don't see why not except for the heat.

Joe

Back