Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting for a terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys i was just wondering, what would be the best way to light up my terrarium. It will be 1m long by 80cm high by 50cm wide. Sorry but i don't know what that is in inches. Thanks.

P.S. I already have two cool white and two warm white bulbs but i dont think that will be enough. Maybe compact fluorescents?

Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:
    Do not want others to know what you have done? You should not have done it in the first place.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people use a product referred to as Grow Lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm could you give me some more info Would they be powerful enough to light up a biger space than fluorescents??
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:
    Do not want others to know what you have done? You should not have done it in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey again i have done some research on fluorescent grow lights and i think they will do the job. But i am not sure. Does anyone in NSW Australia know where to get them or are they just available at lighting shops or nurseries etc. Thanks!!
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the lights will be a fair distance from the plants because of the height. Your going to need some high intensity lighting to provide enough light to the plants.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. That's about 40 inches long, 31 inches high, and about 20 inches wide. That's a bit shorter than the 48 inch fluorescent tubes, and 36 inchers are hard to find. You could go with four 24-inch tubes. Another alternative is a higher wattage compact fluorescent grow light. One brand is Fluorex. You could fit at least two of those over the terrarium, and the light would be plenty bright. They're about $40 each.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caps,
    The only problem is that in some places (in U.S.) Flourex cannot be found and the alternative is a light which I use called Regent, it's the same thing really except slightly more lumens and price is like $50 for fixture and $10 for bulb.
    Olly, be weary of Compact flour.'s from grow companies some of these lights they sell are the same as I and Capslock speak of except they are much, MUCH more expensive. Watt for watt, lumen for lumen, same Kelvin rating.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    Absolutely right! I have an "Envirolite" hood, too, and it cost something like 120 bucks! It's brighter than the fluorex (the claims of manufacturers are dubious even on good lights), but not three times as bright as the $40 Fluorex. (not even twice as bright.)

Oh, and check ebay for some good deals on Fluorex lights. By the way, these lights have a reputation for some low quality control, and I've hear some people's just don't work and they have to return them. But that's why they're cheap. And when they do work (all mine have), they're a great deal.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast