What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hey. I am thinking about building a bog garden, and I was wondering how much spcae I should need. In it will be-

Mature Purple pitcher plant
Small     "         "        " x 2
Mature White topped pitcher
S. flava x 2
S. Judith Hindle x 2
d. filiformis filiformis
water sundew, D. intermedia x 2
D. spatulata x 7
mature VFT x 5
unknown sundew x2
parrot pitcher plant
D. binata "giant"
mature pings x3
mini pings x37

How uch space do you think they will need? I also want to add 4-5 plants a year, and I want it to last a while. How large should I make the bog? Any other suggestion s about it are welcome!

Thanks,
Craig

PS I live in NC

Hey,

I think a 6x4 foot bog would fit those plants well.

Just don't uproot your entire garden...I HAVE seen people do that before, just to fit in their beloved cps!!!
wink.gif
wow.gif
wink.gif

Hmmm.... No I don't think I will uproot my entire.... Wait.... Must plant...... Carnivores.... NOOOO!!!!!!!

thanks for the measurements! I'll try it in about a week, that's when the bog is gonna get started! So excited!

BOG STARTED!
I got the bog garden started a little ahead of schedule! Good advice, a 6 by 4 looks good! I put it in this morning, lined it, put in a few drainage holes, designated places for aquatics, and let it soak for a while to let the dirt settle! Soil=55% peat, 35% sand, 10% long fibered sphagnum. I haven't put in any plants yet, because it just was put in this morning! I want some pygmy sundews to carpet the bog. Any recommendations? Also, how fast does live sphagnum grow, and what conditions does it need?

I'll keep bog progress posted here!
Any aquatic carnivore recommendations?

Thanks,
Craig:laugh:

How cold does it get there in the winter?  Pygmies may not be the best idea.  Make sure to protect you cp's by placing taller plants to the south.  I find that my LFS is not growing very quickly outside.  It must be kept wet.  I have extra live shagnum inside that I am going to transplant.  Hopefully it will take better.

Are you going to have an adjoining pond? I have inflata, gibba and aureas for aquatics.

Winter temps are in the 20-30s sometimes.... I guess you're right. No pygmies. How does having plants to the south protect the CP's? And what conditions do you think Live sphagnum will need? Or do you think I should use something else to carpet my bog?

Yes, I hope to have a pond with it soon, after the bog gets going!
Thanks for the aquatics suggestions!
Cool bog site!

Anyone know how to get a CP pond started with a bog garden?

Thanks,
Craig

Sorry, couldn't wait any longer! Some of the plants are already in!
So far I have planted-

Mature Purple pitcher plant
Small " " " x 2
Mature White topped pitcher
S. flava x 2
S. Judith Hindle
d. filiformis filiformis
water sundew, D. intermedia x 4 (another one or two came up!)
mature VFT x 2
parrot pitcher plant
baby D. binata "giant"
mini pings x3

It looks full! I'll probably get another section to put some more in. I think I'll go the easy way and put in a baby pool! While I'm at it, I should put in the pond I was hoping for!
Wow, how's that for 5 days!

Craig

post a pic!
tounge.gif
Seriously, I'd like to see it, I'm starting another bog!, now I have one, for VFT's, and another for some other stuff.

OK I'll have a picture up soon, but my digital camera broke, so I'll have do get some developed, and then scan them, bleh....

Planted another Purple pitcher plant, water sundew, cape sundew, and venus fly trap. I also put up fencing around it, added a fake mushroom and a stone candel fixture to attract bugs, it's worked like a charm so far, but it's almost out of wax!

Craig

Back