What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

China hut to grow chamber

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I am going to turn a china hut thing into a grow chamber. My wife was throwing this thing out and I see potential. Some work will need to go into this but, I think it can work.
1) I need to sand down the varnish and reapply a marine varnish. Probably 2 coats should do it.
2) I will need to coat the varnish with a chrome paint.
3) I will then need to apply a clear sealant over the chrome.
4) I will now go over all the corners and seals with silicone (the aquarium type)
5) Now I will cut ventillation holes into the..... unsure yet
6) Cutting holes for light fixtures is this step.
7) Drill holes for cords and rain system.
8) Rubber foam seal for the light fixtures to sit tight.

Not sure beyond this point yet. Any suggestions or comments are very welcome.

Joe

I have done this type of thing and it came out very nicely.  Firt, DO NOT USE THE CHROME PAINT!!  It does not stand up to the humidity.  I have two chamber that I will have to repaint soon.  I had painted the storm windows that I use for rear access.  Also, you do not need to refinish the interior, especially if you plan to paint over it.  On my first chamber I covered the whole thing in vinyl cupboard paper and sealed all the edges with silicon calking.  That has worked well.  In the second, the lowland chamber, I used shower board to make the interior.  I actually built insulated walls for that on.  I wish I had on the highland as well.  Anyway, I also chalked all the edges on this one as well.  Bathroom silicon works fine.

If you do decide to go with the paint, make sure to use marine paints as well.

I did not need to drill holes for anything.  I used storm windows for read access so I leave them a little open for the cords and venting.
4.jpg

Highland

lowland1.jpg

Lowland. A little foggy in the morning.

Thats very helpful, thank you.

Joe

what kind of insulation did you use and why is it so much better.

What does a china hut look like do you have a pic.

I used styrofoam for the insulation. It is better because it holds the desired temp much longer and is less effect by the temp outside of the chamber.

Back