What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best grow light?

Which Grow light is the Best?
i need an Incandescant that is nice enough to make the plants a nice red Hue(if they are able to)
Any suggestions ould be helpful,
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

Let's see... are you sure you need an incandescant bulb, or will a compact fluorescent work?  They use the same fixtures.  I find that the closer to the light source induces red coloration more than type of bulb.

hope this helps,

Homer

Hmm.. ill have to look into using Compact Flourescent...
is there any specific compact flourescent for plants?
i heard that any cool whit bulb ould work to grow plants under, but the on im using isnt working...

Hellz,

I forgot the one I was using, but I got it at Home Depot.  The bulb you choose does not have to be a "plant light", just make sure it has a good amount of lumens and higher spectrum.  You can get some in the 6000K range.

-Homer

Lumens?
im used to watts
darn, stupid english measurement...
what is the conversion rate?

there is no converson rate. Watts simply refer to the amount of electricity it requires to lite the lamp up. Lumens refer to the exact amount of light energry is produced. Thats was when talking lights its kinda silly to just compare watts to watts. Because a 250 watts of flourecense and 250 watts of MH are not the same amount of light. The MH will produce much lumens.
Hope this helps

as far as what grow light is best? I can' say it depenend on what you're growing

I grow all of my plants under flourescent lights set in 4 foot shop fixtures. A couple of considerations: the plants should be as close as possible to the tubes, a difference of a few inches is very significant. Also, light tubes age and need replacing long before they burn out in order to be efficient ( I change mine every 8 months, pushing it.). This is especially true if you are growing under glass. Even a thin film of saran wrap screens out a good deal of the spectrum that plants need for good growth. I use up to 8 bulbs per rack and even this doesn't produce the results I really want. Other growers are less demanding and get by with less light Incandescent light produces little of what the plants need, unless you are talking metal halide/high pressure sodium. I also run these lights in the winter, but the heat output and expense in running them are important considerations.

hmmm... im prob gonna make a bigger terrarium
im growing in my little PFT terrarium 2 neps (Raff and ventricosa), 4 D.Spatulata, 5-6 small D.Spathulata, And 10-12 Small P.Primuliflora. Its getting kinda crowded, so im gonna make a larger 10 Gall Terrarium. i think im gonna use 2 60 Watt Compact Flourescents, or i could use one of my dad Metal Halides for it (
biggrin.gif
j/k j/k)
Wish me luck,
Hellz

Back