Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tropical tank help

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aluminum doesn't rust as far as i know, but i wouldn't but it on the inside of the tank anyway, it seems like more trouble that it's worth.

I cover the outside of my tank with aluminum foil, it works great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello, Pill what do you mean putting foil on the inside a of a tank is more trouble that it's worth? I have already gone throught the trouble of covering the inside of my tank. Do you think I'll have any problems with growing plants in there? I really don't want to take out the foil but if it is a bad idea to have foil in the tank I guess now will be a good time to change the foil since I don't have plants in the tank yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    traphole- i say that because it just seems easier to tape it to the outside of the glass than it is to stick it on the inside, since it crumples easily. aluminum doesn't rust, so it shouldn't harm your plants, but it just seems easier to put it on the outside. the more creases in the foil, the less effeciantly it reflects light. a smooth sheet of foil reflects all the lights in one place, but a creased up piece reflects lights everywhere.

i wouldn't bother taking it out now that it's already in, unless you want to use mylar instead.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminum may not rust, but it can carode(sp?) if left in contact with water for long periods of time. I think this would happen even faster if the water was acidic, such as what is common if a CP environment. I don't know if the salts formed would hurt your plants, but I think that you would eventually have to replace the aluminum as its surface dulls over time.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be sure to use the really shiny side, too! it has a shiny side and a dull side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't see the foil rusting or anything, but if you are worried, tape it to the outside of the tank. You will still get reflectiveness.
    If you are interested, you can usually find Mylar on eBay.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminium does oxidize over time, as do most things, which is what makes the foil become dull. Under acidic conditions you will probably get aluminium going into solution in one form or another. This is a problem because high concentrations of aluminium inhibit secondary root growth and thickening. Obviously this is bad for plants. I however doubt that you will have concentrations high enough to notice any difference in productivity, but the foil will dull much more quickly inside the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to create a 10 gallon bog garden two. could somone please answer the original question?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] what plants like different water levels (tolerate different water levels)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12