What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical tank help

Im planning on building a 10-20 gallon tank, full of troppical CP
i will have it so that one side is lower to the other on a hill like slant, so i can keep an array of CP with differnt Water likings.
I was wondering what Tropical CP i can put in the lower and higher level areas? Also, i plant on using 2 60 watt Compact Flouresents, will this suffice? or should i add more power?!
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

not sure about the lighting BUT as far as water level thing is concerned. most of the terrestrial Utrics dont mind high water levels, tridentata, livida and sandersonii come to mind and its fairly easy to find someone with a lil to give away for shipping(with livida and sandersonii a lil pinch of plant material SOON becomes ALOT of plant material plus both like to flower) these are the only CP's im currently growing with any thing resembling a high water level. good luck and post pics when your done.

Rattler

Sound like you're going to have fun growing that tropical tank to building.

For lighting I would use four 55 wat power compacts if you can fit them over the tanks.

My moto is use as much light as you can possibly afford and or fit over your tank/chamber

All you want to grow is utrics? i'd get some other things, like N. campanulata, N. belli (maybe), some tropical drosera, etc.

You can hang miniature orchids on the back and sides of the tank. You could grow Genlisea, too

i'd fit as many lights as possible over your tank, then i would cover the outside glass with mylar or alluminum foil. I even cover the FRONT glass with alluminum foil and take it off when i was to see what's going on in there.

phil, when i say tropical, i meant anything that doest have a dormancy...
ok ill put as many light as i can fit
biggrin.gif

What plants can i use in it and what water levels do they prefer?

I covered my 55 gallon tank with aluminum foil on the inside. Will this harm any plants (I have not put any plants in yet) I put in? Is it better to cover the outside of the tank with the foil? Thanx for the info.

idk if aluminium foil rusts, but i wouldnt put it on the inside
do you think sheet metal will work? i can polish it relly nice, and it will have an exact fit
smile_n_32.gif

idk where 2 find mylar...

aluminum doesn't rust as far as i know, but i wouldn't but it on the inside of the tank anyway, it seems like more trouble that it's worth.

I cover the outside of my tank with aluminum foil, it works great!

Hello, Pill what do you mean putting foil on the inside a of a tank is more trouble that it's worth? I have already gone throught the trouble of covering the inside of my tank. Do you think I'll have any problems with growing plants in there? I really don't want to take out the foil but if it is a bad idea to have foil in the tank I guess now will be a good time to change the foil since I don't have plants in the tank yet.

traphole- i say that because it just seems easier to tape it to the outside of the glass than it is to stick it on the inside, since it crumples easily. aluminum doesn't rust, so it shouldn't harm your plants, but it just seems easier to put it on the outside. the more creases in the foil, the less effeciantly it reflects light. a smooth sheet of foil reflects all the lights in one place, but a creased up piece reflects lights everywhere.

i wouldn't bother taking it out now that it's already in, unless you want to use mylar instead.

Aluminum may not rust, but it can carode(sp?) if left in contact with water for long periods of time. I think this would happen even faster if the water was acidic, such as what is common if a CP environment. I don't know if the salts formed would hurt your plants, but I think that you would eventually have to replace the aluminum as its surface dulls over time.

be sure to use the really shiny side, too! it has a shiny side and a dull side

I really can't see the foil rusting or anything, but if you are worried, tape it to the outside of the tank. You will still get reflectiveness.
If you are interested, you can usually find Mylar on eBay.

Joe

Aluminium does oxidize over time, as do most things, which is what makes the foil become dull. Under acidic conditions you will probably get aluminium going into solution in one form or another. This is a problem because high concentrations of aluminium inhibit secondary root growth and thickening. Obviously this is bad for plants. I however doubt that you will have concentrations high enough to notice any difference in productivity, but the foil will dull much more quickly inside the tank.

I would like to create a 10 gallon bog garden two. could somone please answer the original question?
confused.gif
??? what plants like different water levels (tolerate different water levels)

Back