Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Compact flourecents

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in the world can I buy a good compact flourecent between 20 and 75 watts, you know, the kind that fits into a reg light socket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home Depot, Walmart, KMart, Target, or Online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best wattage to get that provides ample light for my plants without making the room exceedingly bright? Basically, the 60 and 100 watt equivelants to incandescant bulbs is what I'm aiming for.
    Some random words.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing for standard sockets are going to be very bright, except tube flourescent. I use a compact flourescent that is a mogul base. Its made by a company called Regent and it has taken some pretty good hits to the floor and accidentally kicked once. It still lights as bright as could be. All my plants are a good deep red and my healthy plants pitcher with no problems now.
    Its 65wtt
    6500lumens
    like 92 or 94 CRI.

It cost me $50 plus tax for base and bulb.

Joe
    BTW I got it at Menards
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Fygee @ July 02 2004,12:01)]What's the best wattage to get that provides ample light for my plants without making the room exceedingly bright? Basically, the 60 and 100 watt equivelants to incandescant bulbs is what I'm aiming for.
    The higher the better. If you want strong healthy plants you need strong light. If you have alot of natural sunlight you could get away with a lower wattage as a supplement. If your growing primarily with the compact fluorescent you would have a hard time providing too much light even with 65watt compact fluorescent.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Fluorex worked fine last night. I shut it off. And now it won't go back on.

Boo hoo. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the 65 watt's incandecant equivilant? I gotta make sure that its not too high and I end up blowing up my lamp (100 is recommended but 150 is the max before it becomes an extreme fire hazard).

Unfortunately I have to use artificial light as its pretty much impossible to give them natural sunlight during the summer months without frying them to a crisp (I live in Vegas).
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fygee you mean the lamp is rated for incandescent bulbs at 100 and 150w? You can use any size screw in compact fluorescent. The rating that comes with lamps for maximum incandescent is an issue with heat from the lamp. Compact fluorescent bulbs are MUCH cooler.

example the 65watt compact fluorescent lamp is equivalent to light output of a 500watt incandescent. But it produces much much less heat. A 500watt incandescent is hot enough to burn frenchfries while you could nearly touch the 65watt compact fluorescent and it would just feel warm.

Leslie- did you cover up the sunsensor on it? The fluorex/regent fixtures are designed to run at night and have solar sensors on them so they don't go on during the day. You can put a little piece of black tape on it to fool it.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast