0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came with the black plug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came with the black plug. I have testing everything.

I used a multimeter on it.

I just went to HomeDepot, got a bulb for 13 buks and it still doesn't work. I'm going to return the bulb and buy a whole new Unit from Home Depot. 35 buks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or should I get two of those clamp lamp holders and a 3 pack of 23 watt CFs?

It's 8 buks for a clamp lamp 8.5" and 10 buks for three 23watt bulbs.

I can just sit the two lamps above my tank. Instead of hanging the Fluorex over the tank which btw lights up my whole room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the fluorex has better light quality and quantity. I would bring the unit back and get another.. If you just got it they should exchange it. Probably the electronic ballast in the unit died. The bulb as you have found out is not likely to be the problem.

The screw in 23watt bulbs are soft white which has a color temperature around that of warm white 2100k or so.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my Fluorex on eBay.

So returning it may be a issue. I'll try.

For now I got those two warm 23 watts on it. Costed me only 20 buks for a temporary setup which I plan on using for my plants in the garage during hibernation.

Is 2 hours of warm light better than 2 hours of blue light? Since I'm hibernating VFT's and Sarrs isn't the light in NC and SC more red in the winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for now, I emailed the guy I bought the lamp from on eBay. Hopefully he exchanges it for a new unit.

I just found these bulbs that should screw into my 5 dollar clamp on ballasts. - http://www.goodmart.com/products/74298.htm

Those look nice. What do you think?
    Theya re long though, so some ballasts may not hold um.

And found this: https://secure.tcinternet.net/buylig...flscrewin.html

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the higher wattage and brighter lamps will be mogul but not always.

Tony, are the Flourex better quality light than Regent or did you mean in general than incandescent or tube?

Goodluck with the return.

BTW I can touch my lamp and it isn't even warm to the touch. Even after well..............It's on 24hrs a day, still not hot, though running like this will cause me to have to replace the bulbs more frequently.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leslie - the bulbs you found at goodmart.com look nice to me. Not quite as high in wattage as the 65w but the 6500k is ideal. Those bulbs will work in any screw in fixture that will hold an incandescent bulb. The difference is that the ballast is built into the base of the bulb whereas the Regent and Fluorex fixture the ballast is in the unit and not the bulb. The dissadvantage with the first setup is that you pay for a new ballast with every bulb so costs tend to be a little higher in the long run.

Personally I wouldn't use warm or soft white. During dormancy the plants don't need or want more red. A 6500k bulb puts out plenty of red for the plants need as well as a high portion of blue which is what the plant needs to maintain optimum photosynthesis, even during dormancy.

Joe - the fluorex and regent are essentually the same. They use the same bulb as far as I can tell. I have heard the regent is higher quality and less prone to stop working but I have not used either personally so can only go on what others are saying. Generally speaking.. just about any consumer fluorescent is better than any consumer incandescent. If I had no other option I would even use soft/warm fluorescent before an incandescent.. even the so called plant type incandescent. The inherent nature of the heat produced by incandescent makes them unsuitable for plants. It is impossible to produce enough light for the plant and to illuminate them properly without roasting the plant.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast