What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My balcony

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
balcony3.jpg

balcony.jpg

It was better looking without the shade cloth but my neps were scorched
mad.gif
after just a day of being there! So I had to rescue them and sacrifice some aesthetic value of the balcony. Hubby said he felt he was looking at mosquito nets when he sat on the bar stools!
confused.gif

Hi Cindy,
Welcome back.

Hah, you are now married, congratulation!

Nice layout, the shade cloth may be removed when you Neps are acclimatized to the lighting level in a few months.

I remembered you mentioned that your balcony is facing north, now the sun is directly over around latitude 23N, that explain the over powering lighting level for your “use to be in house” plants. By late September the sun will be directly over equator and moving south and your north facing balcony will not receive as much direct sunlight.

I have totally removed all shade cloth from my balcony, facing 110* (SE) for more than a year, most nepenthes were scorched than, after a few months all except lowlight nepenthes are doing ok.

Happy growing

Awesome pictures! Those are going to be some happy Neps in a few months.

wow, looks very neat
biggrin.gif

whered ya get those shade cloths if u bought them, or did u make them and if so, how?
thanks in advanced
i want to make my whole backyard into growable space, and the sun is to harsh now, so i need shade clothes, and those are nice ones
biggrin.gif

Hellz

That rack is pretty similar to mine, only my nep is in a 10 gallon tank. How do they do outside?

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

j/k:Thanks for your advice. I've used cable ties to secure the setup so that I can remove it when the time comes...in fact, I was shocked that the sun is hit them so badly...anyway, they are doing very well now with the shading and my n.miranda even produced a basal shoot!

HellzDungeon: I got them here in Singapore.
smile.gif
Where do you stay, maybe you could post a new topic and growers in your area will be able to help.

Nflytrap: The neps on the racks in the open are n.ampullaria and n.mirabilis. They were burnt quite badly and were placed there to recover from the sun. However, they recovered very quickly and produced new pitchers within 2 weeks. It's very windy at the balcony so I'm surprised they are doing well, left there on the rack.

Great pics, Cindy! Those'll turn into real bushes in no time.

wow really nice bacony!
im buying those wire shelves too!

Cindy, let me guess...from Ikea? Congragulations on your marriage and hope that your hubby lets your plants share your room!
laugh.gif

Really nice balcony, I'm getting envious already. Doesn't look too big, but I see you've done a nice job of setting it up. I have one over on the back of my house, but technically, its shared between me and my b*t*chy neighbour. Actually, I not sure if its really mine, might belong to the government now that I think about it...
smile_l_32.gif

Sooo...how does it feel to say "my husband"?
smile.gif
Congratulations!

I like the inside window-box arrangment. Pretty cool. Everything looks very nice!

Back