Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrariums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if there any good guidlines for building your own custom terrarium. Glass vs Plastic, Openings, and anything else I just don't know about (just good guidlines to follow).

And not a terrarium that's like a greehouse. More of one that is a eco system in it's own, housing CP's and other various plants and perhaps animals.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd use acrylic instead of glass. it's lighter, clearer, and if you scratch it, you can buff the scratches out with kits you can buy.

it's alot better than glass IMO. also, it doesn't shatter and it bends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have critters like lizards in it they will constantly scratch up acrylic i think, i know they do on plexi. this isnt a factor with things like dart frogs but if you are intersted in lizards it is.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i'd use acrylic instead of glass. it's lighter, clearer,
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't have water in it: each material will have non-distinguishable clarity without water. Even with water, you will only tell the clarity of acrylic over glass in extremely large tanks, where glass tends to get a bit of a greenish tint (often only noticeable if you're really looking for it).

Quote[/b] ]and if you scratch it, you can buff the scratches out with kits you can buy.
    If you buy glass, you don't have to worry about scratches (unless you moving something pretty hefty around inside it.)

Quote[/b] ]it's alot better than glass IMO. also, it doesn't shatter and it bends.
    Glass won't shatter unless you drop the entire tank...and glass DOES bend. Trust me: that's why they put crossbraces on tanks, to minimize the bending. Also, glass tank are generally cheaper and a better value until you start getting into 100+ gal size tanks. A smaller acrylic tank of the same size will generally cost more than a glass tank of equal or comparable size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't think about the water facor lol.

i bought glass, and i i scratched it up.. it's hardly noticable but I know it's there and it bugs me. i should have been more careful because now i can't get rid of them.

when acrylic bends it has less stress on it. anyway, you won't have to worry about anything bending since its going to be a terrarium.

he's right, if it's a larger tank, get acrylic, smaller, get glass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If memory serves correct a 20 gallon glass tank weights 240+ lbs of presure when full of water and it wont bend to any noticeable distortion. it does scratch allot less than acrylic but i don't know of a way to remove a scratch from glass ( i doubt you or a lizard would scratch it anyway)
    if you did want to go with the solar panel/fan
    radio shack sells both of those items. also they sell small fans that can hook up to a standard electrical socket with a plug.
    gl with the project id like to see pictures of it when its being made.
    Steven S.
    21 ST. Benedict Circle Stamford C.T. 06902

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to hear more about custom terrariums and how you physically make the things.
    This is an amazing terrarium, http://www.***********.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html
    but I don't know how they got to step one - the tank with an open front. Anyone have experience with the actual construction of a tank ?
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that terrarium is.. amazing.

i'm speechless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast