What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal halide lamps, sodium, florescent

It depends on what Im trying to light up. When I can I try to use flourescents (because its cheap, energy efficient, and produces a low amount of heat) but I have a HID fixture also. It really heats up my gh and lowers the humidity.

Mike

I prefer the flourescents, although I also have HID lighting. Unless you have a very large area, the deficits of heat buildup and low humidity are hard to overcome, and the plants don't color as nicely as they do under flourescents. They grow very well under HID however. I think HID is overkill for most growers, although I have only tried the 1000 watt unit. Smaller wattage might do better with the heat and EXPENSE.

why dont you guys cool the HID lights down with pc fans?

A pc fan blowing on a 1000 watt metal halide would be like a puppy pulling a freight train. A better idea would be to place the ballast outside and run the wire to the bulb. The bulb still puts out a tremendous amount of heat.

I much prefer fluorescents. I havea 400w MH light, and while the plants grow well, they clearly suffer from reduced humidity. My nepenthes pitchers don't last as long, and my pings don't color up a well. Also, it costs a lot more to run.

I like the four foot fluorescent tubes for most applications, because you can put a bunch of drosera, ping, and utric pots under them and get them close to the bulbs, and then something like a couple fluorex fixtures for the taller and variably sized nepenthes.

Capslock

i like running normal output bulbs on a VHO ballast. they last half as long, but they run at 3x the power and it makes my plants color up nicely even from over a foot away from the bulbs.

they also make loads of heat, so i don't need to buy a heater to heat up the terr.

I prefer fluorescent light bulbs. I was looking into HID lighting, but decided against it because of cost, time setting up, and concerns that I have read (heat, low humidity, etc).

-Homer

It depends on what you are growing. Yes, they have all those problems, but they ensure that the light gets down to the base of the plant on those taller plants(Nepenthes, tall Drosera).
Your grow area will be fairly large, so you will have to use a ultrasonic humidifier or something similar to make up for the humidity loss.

Cheers,

Joe

I had a 150 watt MH and recently switcehd to a 400 watt MH I like it and my plants seem to definatly like it. I keep the midity up with foggers (2) and evap spounges. I also have the light fixture outside the growing area.

I prefer the compact flourescents which are VHO and self ballasted. To top it off 65wtts = like $.05 a day to run. Mine color the plants up very nicely and I can touch the bulb even after hours and hours of running. (low heat was the point)

Joe

How do you run florescents on a VHO ballast? Do you just buy an extremely high wattage ballast and run it or what? That would be quite expensive wouldn't it. Darn now you've got me interested...and just after I purchased a whole load of bulbs and ballasts...
smile_n_32.gif

just run an NO lamp on a VHO ballast. easy-peasy. they only last about half as long and run hotter though.

How do I identify VHO ballasts?

The heat is no problem, I'll put fans on.

it should say it on it. i bought mine awhile ago at marinedepot.com i dont think they have my model anymore. it was like 175 bucks or so for a retrofit kit that including all the wires, ballast, reflector, and waterproof endcaps. a good deal IMO, even though thats expensive for lights.

i have to overdrive NO lamps on a VHO ballast because i can't find VHO lamps with the right ends. real VHO lamps would be alot more efficiant.

Sorry guys but....what is a "VHO ballast" as opposed to a regular ballast and a "NO lamp"?

NO means Normal Output, VHO means Very High Output. for example, a 4 foot NO lamp is 40 watts, however a 4 foot VHO lamp is 110 watts. VHO is just brighter, and more powerful.

But the Very high output is actually the ballast...and it works on any kind of tube or only with VHO tubes?

it will work with NO, VHO, and HO lamps, not just VHO. VHO is the most efficiant however, and NO and HO dont last as long and run hotter.

Mine came with the ballast. The VHO bulb is a compact flourescent. They are usually found sold as street lights. Theyare mogul base. (The basethat looks like a standard but is larger)

Joe

Back