Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal halide lamps, sodium, florescent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was wondering what people prefer and why?

-Steve
    Steven S.
    21 ST. Benedict Circle Stamford C.T. 06902

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what Im trying to light up. When I can I try to use flourescents (because its cheap, energy efficient, and produces a low amount of heat) but I have a HID fixture also. It really heats up my gh and lowers the humidity.

Mike
    Lover of Mexican Pinguicula

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the flourescents, although I also have HID lighting. Unless you have a very large area, the deficits of heat buildup and low humidity are hard to overcome, and the plants don't color as nicely as they do under flourescents. They grow very well under HID however. I think HID is overkill for most growers, although I have only tried the 1000 watt unit. Smaller wattage might do better with the heat and EXPENSE.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you guys cool the HID lights down with pc fans?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pc fan blowing on a 1000 watt metal halide would be like a puppy pulling a freight train. A better idea would be to place the ballast outside and run the wire to the bulb. The bulb still puts out a tremendous amount of heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer fluorescents. I havea 400w MH light, and while the plants grow well, they clearly suffer from reduced humidity. My nepenthes pitchers don't last as long, and my pings don't color up a well. Also, it costs a lot more to run.

I like the four foot fluorescent tubes for most applications, because you can put a bunch of drosera, ping, and utric pots under them and get them close to the bulbs, and then something like a couple fluorex fixtures for the taller and variably sized nepenthes.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like running normal output bulbs on a VHO ballast. they last half as long, but they run at 3x the power and it makes my plants color up nicely even from over a foot away from the bulbs.

they also make loads of heat, so i don't need to buy a heater to heat up the terr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I prefer fluorescent light bulbs. I was looking into HID lighting, but decided against it because of cost, time setting up, and concerns that I have read (heat, low humidity, etc).

-Homer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast