Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bog garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the biggest outdoor bog garden built by a non-funded person?? (non-professional) I want to build a large one and am looking for suggestions. I live in NW FLA. and have a 60X30 pond that I was thinking of placing it next to.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i were you, i'd put some sort of recirculating pump in the bottom, that way you can suck out out, nasty, smelly water and prevent anaerobic (sp) areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The existing pond is a natural pond. Iwas thinking along the lines of having the bog right next to it and allowing slight drainage to the pond. My idea is to dig a 10'X10'X 6"deep area and fill it with a CP mixture and see what happens I want to fill it with some local type CP (SARA) and maybe some fly traps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's a great idea. I might make it 12 or 18" deep, but adding it on to the side of the pond sounds very cool, as long as there is no danger of pesticide or fertilizer contamination in the pond. If I had a yard with a pond, that's what I would do for a bog. I'd also work in a boardwalk of sorts.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it have to be so deep? it seems like 12-18 inches is over kill. i think 8 inches is enough.

why stop with sarracenia and dionaea? you could grow lots of drosera , pinguicula, maybe even darlingtonia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live in NW Florida i would go to a local bog and make observations on how to make it
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the bog is made too shallow and there is a dry period, it could dry out if the water level drops too low. Also, the native soil may not be to the bog plants' liking if they grow below the dug-out portion.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could slope it, make it highest in the midde that way you could grow lots of plants in different areas depending on how much water they like and it would make it seem larger/taller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast